Thought provoking stuff

Real Name
John A Alexander
A protest movement sparked by a policeman's ill-judged advice to women students to "avoid dressing like sluts" which took root in the US and Canada has spread to a number of counries. Thousands of people - some dressed in jeans, others more provocatively - take part in marches, or "SlutWalks". These shots are from the London event on June 11.

1)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Slutwalk London 2011-1 by johnaalex, on Flickr

2)

Slutwalk London 2011-2 by johnaalex, on Flickr

3)

Slutwalk London 2011-3 by johnaalex, on Flickr

4)

Slutwalk London 2011-4 by johnaalex, on Flickr

5)

Slutwalk London 2011-5 by johnaalex, on Flickr

6)

Slutwalk London 2011-6 by johnaalex, on Flickr

7)

Slutwalk London 2011-7 by johnaalex, on Flickr

8)

Slutwalk London 2011-8 by johnaalex, on Flickr

9)

Slutwalk London 2011-9 by johnaalex, on Flickr

Some of those shots definitely capture the tension present!

On a related note, working to stop sexual assault and similar is great, but some of the "points" those signs are making are just plain stupid.

Some of those shots definitely capture the tension present!

On a related note, working to stop sexual assault and similar is great, but some of the "points" those signs are making are just plain stupid.
It is a good photo set, and I also agree about their points being stupid. The only thought provocation I had was if you want to be taken seriously, at least make sense.

Regardless of what a women wears, it isn't an invitation to rape. However, there are levels of prevention a woman can take.

Real Name
John A Alexander
It is a good photo set, and I also agree about their points being stupid. The only thought provocation I had was if you want to be taken seriously, at least make sense.

Regardless of what a women wears, it isn't an invitation to rape. However, there are levels of prevention a woman can take.
And so the debate continues...:wink:

Thanks Steve.

Good photos, you've captured the spirit of the day.

"When a police officer from Toronto went on a routine visit to Osgoode Hall Law School to advise the students on personal safety, little did he know that he would unwittingly inspire a movement that has caught fire across Canada and the US.
"You know, I think we're beating around the bush here," Michael Sanguinetti began, blandly enough, as he addressed the 10 students who turned up for the pep talk. Then he said: "I've been told I'm not supposed to say this – however, women should avoid dressing like sluts in order not to be victimised."

From a woman's perspective, most of the signs make perfect sense. How a woman was dressed has been a (winning) defence for rape in the past. How does THAT make sense???!!! To turn a phrase from Shakespeare: Assault is assault is assault. Plain and simple.

I was involved in a rape attempt years ago because I merely invited the guy (a friend of my lawyer) in for coffee after a pleasant dinner date. The guy left without coffee but with a limp. One of my male friends said it was my fault because an invitation for coffee is a code for sex. WHAT!!!???? We're tired of being blamed for unacceptable behaviour. A police officer saying this in front of a group of law students?? No brains.

Good set, but I think these walks are a bit odd...

Here's my issue with the whole thing: I don't think you can blame the victim, but at the same time potential victims should be more aware of how they might make themselves a target... I know that sounds odd, let me try a different way:

Say I'm visiting NYC and turn down the wrong block and continue moving further and further into "unsafe" areas and I get mugged... I did nothing to ask to be mugged, I didn't want to be mugged, but my actions put me in that situation to be mugged... Should me walking around in the wrong part of town be a winning argument for the defense? No way, but my actions MAY have led to my being targetted.

That said, I severely doubt how a girl is dressed has any real impact on a true predator.

Hi. Just a reminder. Any further political discussion on this issue will end up in having the thread closed. Discussion about the photos which is not political is fine.

Thanks, Rich

Hi. Just a reminder. Any further political discussion on this issue will end up in having the thread closed. Discussion about the photos which is not political is fine.

Thanks, Rich
If this is the case, pictures with a political point shouldn't be allowed.

I would think in the photojournalism section the standards would be more relaxed. PJ work is all about telling a story and creating images for discussion about a subject.

Politics trumps all of the forums. If you have any further questions feel free to pm any of the mods or the owner, Patrick Bramlett.

Rich

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom