1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Thoughts - Image link fixed

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by KayB, Sep 13, 2008.

1. KayB

KayB

Aug 17, 2007
    Puyallup, WA
    Note: picture is fixed.

My DIL's stepmother needs a picture for a picture quilt she is making...so my son/DIL asked me to take a family picture for them. This will be converted to black/white and then printed on fabric transfer paper.

I'd love feedback in 2 ways...first, what are you thoughts on the portrait overall. Exposure, framing, etc. I'm considering a tighter crop. And then thoughts for this specific output.

Thanks so much! BTW, we met on the fly...my son's on his way out of town for several days, hasn't slept, we met at a mall while they were shopping for his trip. I had no control over wardrobe and had to grab a location so we could do this quickly.

I was pleased to have them all looking the same direction and no weird faces! Thanks in advance!

2854506861_f168464b92.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

PS...I'm in the process of cloning out the red sidewalk on the left and the bike rack (or whatever it is) on the right. I'm also thinking that the background behind their heads is a little dark, and maybe I should dodge it a bit.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2008
  2. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    i cant see pic

3. I think the shot is okay. It's a tad bit underexposed, but that could be fixed in post. Adjust your levels and you should be fine. My only issue is with the cropping - you cut off your DIL's right arm. If you have time to take another shot, go for it. If there are time restrictions, just correct the exposure and give it some pop.

Hope this helps.

4. the_traveler

the_traveler

Mar 22, 2007
    en route
    Since this is going to be BW and sewn into a quilt, why not see how a conversion goes (you can adjust the background then) then ask the quilter what shape she needs.

5. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    If you retake to get the arm in, you might want to also ask top person to remove glasses - I think they're those polarising ones and they have gone dark?

I like the way you posed them in a triangle, I've read that it's good to try to get people's heads almost touching - it feels weird to them but implies more closeness in the final image.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.