1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Thoughts on a new PC

Discussion in 'PC/Windows/Linux' started by Gazruss, Jul 30, 2009.

1. I am looking to update my system, i mostly use LR and PS CS4. My old system is just too slow to handle things right now.

I have a computer store near me that i have done a lot of business with for my company and he is offering me the following. Do you think this will be a good choice for the tasks i have mentioned above.

CPU Intel core 2 quad 2.83 Ghz (Q9550)
    MB Giga-byte EP45
    RAM 8 gig DDR2 ram (PC6400)
    HDD 500 Gig sata 7200rpm (WD)
    ATX Midi Tower case with 585 Watt PS
    Video PCI-E SVGA NVidia 512 Mb
    DVD RW 22x SATA DVD-RW (LG)
    On board sound and ethernet

With windows vista 64bit (don't need as i will run W7)

Total $950 (Canadian)

What do you guys think. Any thing you would change on this quote?

2. The specs certainly look good, but I went a different route last year when I picked up my desktop

I decided to go low cost for the first time ever - and make it a disposable machine (3 years or less)

What I got (Aug 2008) - HP refurb from Future Shop - $399

HP Pavilion Slimline
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 5200+ 2.7GHz
    4GB RAM
    500GB SATA 7200rpm
    DVD RW with Lightscribe
    NVidia 512Mb shared
    Vista Home Premium
    on board sound, ethernet and a wireless card built in

I work in IT for my day job, so I am used to building desktops from scratch - but the price kept climbing up to $850 and over

When I found this deal, I thought I would try it out and see how it works
    So far I use LR 2.4 and CS3 on it - no speed issues at all

In another year or two, I won't even mind buying another one and use this as storage only

So - that is a nice system, and $950 is probably a good price for it, but there are some alternatives as well

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2009
  3. Growltiger

Growltiger Administrator Administrator

I have just upgraded a machine with new motherboard, CPU and memory.

It had a Pentium 4 3GHz and 2GB memory.

It now has an Asus P6T deluxe V2 motherboard with Core i7 920 and 12GB DDR3 memory. I'll be putting Windows 7, 64 bit onto it, when it comes out.

Running the Photoshop benchmark from here on it, I got these results.
    Before upgrade: 80 seconds
    After upgrade: 9.5 seconds

I wanted a system with substantially more power and a long life ahead of it. I suspect that you may feel the need to upgrade again if you only go for the Core 2.

4. That is a good system and it will serve you well, however you're future upgrade options are nil. If you are going to spend the money now, you have two choices, buy old technology which this system is, or buy new technology with future upgrade potential, but pay a bit of a premium for it. I suspect for perhaps 3-400 more you can buy a new Intel i7 system that will be much much faster then the system you have spec'd out there. I understand it comes down to budget and what you are using the system for, I just wanted to point out that their is newer technology and if you get this system, which may suit you're needs for 2-3 yrs, you wont be able to upgrade the CPU and it wont be worth it to upgrade the RAM.

AM

5. web52

web52

May 9, 2008
    houston tx
    WOW, rbeal! You started out with almost exactly what I have now. (but I have 2.5GB memory).

There is a computer-guru at my work who _everybody_ asks for advice on computers, video cards, HDD, etc.

He says that for games, the video card is very important, but for Photoshop, the CPU speed is the critical issue. Not the video card. Your Core i7 is a screaming CPU.

For Garrie: Some motherboards do not have on-board video cards, so you have to get one for the monitor to plug in. At 512 Mb it looks like a more budget-line model (fine for PS). The CPU will handle your CS4 well enough, but since DDR2 ram only costs about 25-30 $US for a 2-Gig card, you might want to go ahead and get more if it will fit onto the motherboard. If you get involved with on-line video games you might have some "lag" from the video card.

6. Thanks for the responses.

I will look into the futureshop ones Paul.

I agree that a nice Intel Core I7 would be nice, but don't want to spend that amount right now, takes cash out of the NAS kitty.

7. I recently upgraded to something close to what your looking into - here is my build specs.

CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33GHz
    Mobo - Intel BOXDP35DPM
    Ram - Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM (2 of these)
    Video card - XFX PVT96OZDFU GeForce 9600 GSO 1GB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16
    HDD's - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA (3 of these)
    DVD Rom - SAMSUNG Black DVD Burner with LightScribe
    case - COOLER MASTER ATCS 840
    PSU - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX
    CPU Cooler - COOLER MASTER V8

If the photoshop benchmark that rbeal is talking about is the radial blur - I ran it in about 12.5 secs. The i7 core was about $250 more - cpu / mobo / ram difference. I have been very satisfied with the performance out of the new build. I could of saved $$ with a mid tower case, but I really like the space of the full tower. Also the cpu cooler I went with is a beast!! There are 2 threads from me a page or 2 back - 1 with questions on my build and 1 with pics of the completed unit.

I figure worse case - when i get a bug - get the new mobo - cpu - ram and run the i7 when the price comes down a bit - but I don't see that happening for a while.

8. surrealillusion

surrealillusion

Aug 23, 2007
    Ottawa
    What case and PSU? I would suggest going with an Antec case and an Antec PSU or OCZ. 700W should be more than plenty just in case you want to throw another video card in there.

9. Sole Shooter

Sole Shooter

Sep 20, 2007
    So. Cal.
    I have an OCZ PSU (700W) that I'm really happy with. But both brands are good.

10. Hi there,

Just finalized the build with the PC Store.

I am getting:
    Intel Core I7 920 2.66 Ghz
    MSI X58-Pro MB
    12 Ghz DDR3 1333 Ram
    2 X 1 TB Sata HDD
    Antec 300 Mid Tower Case
    OCZ 700MXSP 700W power supply
    MSI N9500GT 512MB Video Card (will change if/when needed)
    22" Wide screen LG display
    Windows 7 64 Bit

With Taxes $1199

11. congrats on the new rig - i am sure it will keep you happy for a long time ...

12. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo

Aug 4, 2009
    southern ME
    Currently running:

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.20 GHz
    4 Gb Crucial RAM
    nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS 256 Mb vRAM
    2x150 Gb SATA and 1x200 Gb Sata
    Mid tower with 650W power supply
    19" digital flat panel
    XP Professional

enroute:

Intel Core I7 965 3.2 GHz Bloomfield (Extreme)
    9 Gb 3X2G+3X1G DDR3 1066 Extreme Performance
    ATi Radeon HD 4870 1024 vRAM
    1.5TB 7.2K BRINKS-XLOB SATA
    Mid tower with 900W power supply
    Vista Professional 64 bit is loaded but Windows 7 64 bit will follow
    keeping the 19" digital flat panel

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2009
  13. Big Worm

Big Worm

Sep 16, 2008
    Denver
    That is going to be a very nice upgrade.

14. Looks like a great system! I built a similar one this spring and I can tell you it flies using CS3, CS4 (64 bit) and Lightroom 2.x (64 bit), I'm running the release candidate of Windows 7

15. You did the right thing and will be very happy I'm sure!

16. Great choices. The i7 920 is superb value considering how well it responds to overclocking, as well as its stock performance compared to the equivalent AMD offerings and previous generation Core 2 Quad processors. With declining prices for X58 chipsets and DDR3 RAM, I find it hard to recommend anything else.

17. Very close to what I have. You will be very pleased.

Mike

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.