Thoughts on PacSafe Camera Bag Security

Howdy All,

So far, I've never been very concerned with having my Gear Stolen, but
after receiving a very sad email from one of my Best Friends about all
his Gear being stolen out of the backseat of their car while they were in
it in Italy. It apparently was a divert and grab type of thing, while they were
trying to find a parking spot. He ended up losing his Camera, and 5 Nikon Lenses, CF Cards, various filters, and bag.

It made me start to think about all the times we'd left something of value
in the Truck or in the Room while on Vacation, and even though I am sure
our Travel Insurance ,and Home Owners would go a long way to replacing things I am not one that likes to lose things:frown: I have to say that there have been many times that we've returned to the Truck/Car or Room to
find everything still there we breathed a sigh of relief :smile:

So, I've been looking at the different types of bag security that's in my budget.

Here's a couple that I've found that seem pretty interesting and if any
of Ya'll have these or have experience, good or bad, I love to hear from you.

http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/catalog/pacsafe-stuffsafe-p-332.html

http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/catalog/pacsafe-c35l-security-camera-protector-p-1272.html

My Wife and I try our best to be diligent and safe in all areas of the US and the World, but sometimes things happen that we have no control over,
and I would like to minimize that risk.

Appreciate the help, Take care,

Craig

In my opinion all that bag would do is let everyone know that you have something of value in there, making perhaps a bigger target for crooks. I will agree it would take them a bit longer to get it, but if they want it bad enough, they will find a way. A good pair of heavy duty wire cutters would probably cut through that in seconds in the hands of a capable criminal.

I know there is no real answer to stopping crime, and any deterrent has to be of some value, but I am not so sure bringing more attention to your bag is the answer.

I agree with NYracefan.

Be as inconspicuous as you can but if they want to get your gear gladly give it to them and let the insurance cover it.

Its not worth putting your life or your family's life in danger.

I never leave anything anywhere. Camouflage is something I use all the time. So is decoy equipment, ie old film cameras left in obvious place. Dress poorly like you don`t have a dime.

Stay away from camera bags with Nikon or Domke showing all over them. Cameras go in a car trunk or in a picnic cooler. When we use the toll roads in the USA, I or my wife are always in the car at rest stops. Valuables are still always hidden.

Howdy All,

Thanks for ya'lls replies and thoughts.

I may not have asked the question correctly but this is more for

Car/Truck and Hotel Room security. If I've got it on my back

I'm not that concerned with it, of course having two cameras

hanging around my neck is sort of a giveaway :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I had a PacSafe wire mesh to keep stuff on my MC and it is quality stuff.

When my gear is in the back seat (yes, even while driving around) I use a carabiner to hook it to the seatbelt. When I park, I use the biner to hook it to a tie down in the back of my SUV. If its sitting by my seat, the biner is hooked to the seat. If I am walking any distance, I generally hook one to my belt. You get the point - it won't stop a dedicated thief, but will stop a grab and go or your gear from sliding off of the seat quickly... I have a biner on both sides. Get a real one (about $10) in a dull color.

I was going to get a PacSafe camera strap. I ordered it from them directly. After more than a week of not hearing from them, I sent them an email asking what was going on. I never even got a confirmation email from them for the order. I told them in the email that I had given all the info they asked for, along with credit card info. A woman emailed me back saying the status of my order was that it hadn't been paid for, and asked if I used PayPal. I reminded her I used my credit card (actually, my debit card), and there was way more than enough money to cover it, so that shouldn't be a problem. Well, after 2-3 more days, I still never heard back from them/her. We were going out of town for the day, that Saturday, so I sent her another email telling her to cancel the order. I told her I was going to get a strap from someone that was more competent at their job! I got a nice Tamrac strap from a camera store.

I saw that Amazon also sold the PacSafe strap. The customer reviews of the strap were not good at all. One thing they said was the wire has a memory to it, and once it gets twisted some, it becomes impossible to deal with. Once I read the reviews, I was glad I never got it. And, after dealing with their incompetence, I'll never deal with them again.
Good luck!

I had a PacSafe wire mesh to keep stuff on my MC and it is quality stuff.

When my gear is in the back seat (yes, even while driving around) I use a carabiner to hook it to the seatbelt. When I park, I use the biner to hook it to a tie down in the back of my SUV. If its sitting by my seat, the biner is hooked to the seat. If I am walking any distance, I generally hook one to my belt. You get the point - it won't stop a dedicated thief, but will stop a grab and go or your gear from sliding off of the seat quickly... I have a biner on both sides. Get a real one (about $10) in a dull color.

Howdy Chad,

Thanks very much, good info and Idea.

Appreciate it.

I was going to get a PacSafe camera strap. I ordered it from them directly. After more than a week of not hearing from them, I sent them an email asking what was going on. I never even got a confirmation email from them for the order. I told them in the email that I had given all the info they asked for, along with credit card info. A woman emailed me back saying the status of my order was that it hadn't been paid for, and asked if I used PayPal. I reminded her I used my credit card (actually, my debit card), and there was way more than enough money to cover it, so that shouldn't be a problem. Well, after 2-3 more days, I still never heard back from them/her. We were going out of town for the day, that Saturday, so I sent her another email telling her to cancel the order. I told her I was going to get a strap from someone that was more competent at their job! I got a nice Tamrac strap from a camera store.

I saw that Amazon also sold the PacSafe strap. The customer reviews of the strap were not good at all. One thing they said was the wire has a memory to it, and once it gets twisted some, it becomes impossible to deal with. Once I read the reviews, I was glad I never got it. And, after dealing with their incompetence, I'll never deal with them again.
Good luck!

Howdy,

Thanks for the heads up, I'll probably be getting the backpack cover from
another company, still a PacSafe.

Hate to hear the bad customer service, I'll bet the Owner wouldn't like
hearing that either, to not only lose a sale, but to have someone not pleased
with his company, especially in these days and times.

Another one for the wire mesh from PacSafe.
I have the 2 larger sizes of their WireMesh.
And have been using them for about 4 years with no issues.
I use the mesh to lock either my photo bag and Or my laptop bag in the car.
Naturally I always take care to put the bags in the trunk and try to do that discretely.
And to lock the bag in the hotel room when I travel.

And for issues dealing directely with PacSafe, sorry I have no experience as I purchase that stuff from a local retail store.

Take Care!

Another one for the wire mesh from PacSafe.
I have the 2 larger sizes of their WireMesh.
And have been using them for about 4 years with no issues.
I use the mesh to lock either my photo bag and Or my laptop bag in the car.
Naturally I always take care to put the bags in the trunk and try to do that discretely.
And to lock the bag in the hotel room when I travel.

And for issues dealing directely with PacSafe, sorry I have no experience as I purchase that stuff from a local retail store.

Take Care!

Morning Michel,

Thanks very much for your reply and information, glad to here
they've been working well, and sounds like have been doing
the job.

Appreciate the Help!!!

Kindest Regards,

Craig

Latest threads

Top Bottom