Thoughts on potential FX camera purchase D6xx or D800/800E?

Real Name
David
The D810 also had issues with mount as I recall. They changed something from the D800 to the D810 and then changed it back on the D850? I don't remember all the details, but I seem to remember reports of the mounts fail. But I do remember at the time you could easily find images of the alloy structure of a D800 on the web but not the D810.

Were there some issues that impacted a small number of D800's that were eventually corrected in the release of the D810? I remember Thom Hogan talking about them years ago, but as I shoot with different bodies, I did not pay much attention. You may want to acquaint yourself with the issue to see if it is present in any body that you consider purchasing.

--Ken
It was probably not an issue with the D810, but the release of the D810 was not done to fix the issue as Nikon did with the D600 / D610. There were a significant number of changes between the D800 and D810, not the least of which was the sensor. The D600/D610 are virtually the same except for a shutter change.

I very much enjoyed my D800. I used it regularly for six years...and created tens of thousands of images with it. In my opinion, it's a fantastic camera. I still own it...it's the backup to my D850. The image quality from the D800 is still top notch. I would challenge anyone to distinguish the photographs captured by my D800 from the ones captured by my D850.

Glenn

Last edited:
Real Name
Ken St John
I had a D610 for a while, and although I never noted the oil splattering issue, I was also not always impressed with the IQ. Not something I could point to such as areas out of focus or areas of poor color rendition ... just an overall impression. After about a year, I traded up for a D750 and never looked back. I skipped the 8XX options but never felt I was missing anything. The D750 was rock solidly built, and a lot of great features. FWIW - I also had a number of older Nikon lenses and loved the rich color and texture they produced.

Ken

Real Name
David
I very much enjoyed my D800. I used it regularly for six years...and created tens of thousands of images with it. In my opinion, it's a fantastic camera. I still own it...it's the backup to my D850. The image quality from the D800 is still top notch. I would challenge anyone to distinguish the photographs captured by my D800 from the ones captured by my D850.

Glenn
I used mine for 5 years, it's the body I took the second most images with, second only to one of a pair of D700s.

I had a D610 for a while, and although I never noted the oil splattering issue, I was also not always impressed with the IQ. Not something I could point to such as areas out of focus or areas of poor color rendition ... just an overall impression. After about a year, I traded up for a D750 and never looked back. I skipped the 8XX options but never felt I was missing anything. The D750 was rock solidly built, and a lot of great features. FWIW - I also had a number of older Nikon lenses and loved the rich color and texture they produced.

Ken
The D600 had the oil issue, not the D610. Or at least I don't recall ever hearing about it.

I used my D800 for 6 years and had no problems, got it early in 2012. It's still being used today by my sister.
I thought it was an amazing camera, I'd use one today without any worries.

So thanks to a fellow member who contacted me via private message suggesting I check out a D800 on MPB, I did some research on their purchase and return policies and decided that I would give them a try. I just pulled the trigger on a "Like New" condition D800 with only 3105 clicks on it for $844. Although I mentioned I was willing to go in to the $800ish range on my budget I was holding out on the hopes that I could do it for slightly less, but the lure of a practically new D800 for that money was just too tempting.

I will say what I did like about MPB is the ability to look at actual detailed photos of the exact camera you're looking to purchase and they give you the shutter count (in most cases) vs KEH where you must order then wait to get the unit in your hands to inspect it.

So according to MPB my order should be here by the 25th of March. We'll see if that pans out given the shipping fiasco's of the past year. I'll try to remember and report back once I have it in hand to inspect and test.

Now I need to invest in some extra storage space to handle those enormous RAW files.

I love my D800E. It's still my primary camera for portraits and landscape. I'm glad I went with the "E" version without the AA filter. I still tell myself my files are likely very comparable to a D810 or D850.
Based upon my experience with the D800 and the D850...the files are very comparable. For me, the benefits of the D850 is that it makes it easier to capture certain images. The higher frame rate makes it more capable for action. Focus peeking makes it easier for me to achieve tack sharp focus for stationary subjects. But, if the image is captured by the D800, the file quality is very similar.

Glenn

So thanks to a fellow member who contacted me via private message suggesting I check out a D800 on MPB, I did some research on their purchase and return policies and decided that I would give them a try. I just pulled the trigger on a "Like New" condition D800 with only 3105 clicks on it for $844. Although I mentioned I was willing to go in to the $800ish range on my budget I was holding out on the hopes that I could do it for slightly less, but the lure of a practically new D800 for that money was just too tempting.

I will say what I did like about MPB is the ability to look at actual detailed photos of the exact camera you're looking to purchase and they give you the shutter count (in most cases) vs KEH where you must order then wait to get the unit in your hands to inspect it.

So according to MPB my order should be here by the 25th of March. We'll see if that pans out given the shipping fiasco's of the past year. I'll try to remember and report back once I have it in hand to inspect and test.

Now I need to invest in some extra storage space to handle those enormous RAW files.
I think you'll be very happy with your camera. You purchased an amazing piece of equipment for a great price.

Glenn

What a great find. That one sounds like new. You'll get many years of enjoyment from it.

Real Name
Jon Schusteritsch
I owned a D610 for a year or so and was never happy with it. I previously owned (and still do) a D700 and the D610 fell short of almost every expectation aside from better resolution (I used it for portraits, landscape, and my first few months of wedding photography). I sold the D610 and got a D750 and have been happy ever since, it excels in all areas I have used it which now includes sports to go with wedding work (and less landscape since I just don't have the time anymore). I would definitely look for a D750 or one of the 8 series bodies (I don't know much about those other than wanting the D850 to replace my 750 one day), I just don't want you to have the same disappointment with the D610 as I did.

KEH : They take a long time to answer one email ( i f they answer at all )
Another thing : They do not show pictures of the item you are buying , they do ot give you shutter release count

Real Name
Ken
KEH : They take a long time to answer one email ( i f they answer at all )
Another thing : They do not show pictures of the item you are buying , they do ot give you shutter release count
This is true. But in a recent post I read that MPB is not always correct in the images that they post, so I would take that with a grain of salt as well. The most important thing I find is both reputation and willingness to take an item back if a customer is not satisfied.

--Ken

This is true. But in a recent post I read that MPB is not always correct in the images that they post, so I would take that with a grain of salt as well. The most important thing I find is both reputation and willingness to take an item back if a customer is not satisfied.

--Ken
Here, dealing with their UK operations, I had to return a couple of lenses and cameras without any issue.

Real Name
Ken
Here, dealing with their UK operations, I had to return a couple of lenses and cameras without any issue.
I believe that both companies have their good and bad days, but when I read that there can be issues with the photos they post, I thought that people should at least be aware of that possible issue. The other reality is that everybody grades equipment as they see fit. And some things bother some people while others could care less. For used equipment, I want to be able to see it and be able to return it if it is not what I was expecting. So pictures can help, but it is what happens if I want to return that is important to me. And both companies seem to have good reputations on returns.

--Ken

--Ken
KEH never answered my last 4 requests
Also their website mention that if your sign in for their newsletter you will get a 5% discount on your first order ( they said they will sent you a code to enter while checking out your order , well they never sent a code !!!!!) ...and i receive their news letter everyday !!!

Sounds like you got a good deal. Based on my experience with MPB.com, I would suggest you check the shutter count.

About two years ago I bought a camera from them that was advertised as having 7500 shutter count. When I received it, it had over 14,00 and was faulty. After several back and forth e-mails I finally got a camera like it with only 434 shutter actuations, but it was a very fraught transaction.

I've had several good experiences with them, but you do need to be careful.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom