Thoughts on processing of this image?

I usually love the simplicity of nx2 for processing but wanted to push myself a little with some new techniques. So here is a glamour processed version (and the original below).
Suspicions and questions:
1: I think i have whitened the eyes too much?
2: I re-did the skin smoothing as it was originally too smooth. Is it still too much?
3: Are the colors too much?

1: Glamour version:
GD7_1490v3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2:eek:riginal (only re-sized for web)
GD7_1490orig.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

cheers
wembley

I like it - well done :wink:

I think you have done a good job and they are the obvious focal point of the image - personally I would not change the whites but I might consider lightening the girls left iris a tad?

2: I re-did the skin smoothing as it was originally too smooth. Is it still too much?
Perhaps a little too much as there seems to be very little skin texture left, however this is largely a matter of personal taste.

Not for me there is a warmth about it that suggests late afternoon sun. Only thing I would like to see changed is addressing the colour loss on the lower lip

I like it - well done :wink:
Thanks

I think you have done a good job and they are the obvious focal point of the image - personally I would not change the whites but I might consider lightening the girls left iris a tad?

I did lighten it more than the right so should be easy to lighten a tad more.

Perhaps a little too much as there seems to be very little skin texture left, however this is largely a matter of personal taste.

Looking at the small original file, there is not a huge amount of detail in the skin to start with so I was conflicted on how smooth was too much. I think it is better than my 1st attempt and shows a hint of texture.

Not for me there is a warmth about it that suggests late afternoon sun. Only thing I would like to see changed is addressing the colour loss on the lower lip

I think my lasso tool was a bit rough around the lip when i did a color boost so lost a little. It was a late afternoon beach sunset, so colors were golden, but I do tend to sometimes miss color casts. I used the double threshold black and white points to hopefully take care of that.

Thanks for the feedback.

cheers
wembley

I think the original looks better. Skin is a little too smooth for me and makes it look somewhat fake in the 1st picture.

I think you did a nice job with the post processing. The original is lacking in contrast in my opinion. The processed version has more pop. I don't think you went overboard with the whitening or skin softening. And, the colors look good on my calibrated monitor.

Glenn

I think you did a great job. The original has a slightly opaque film over it and you have made it so much brighter by boosting the contrast. Excellent work with the skin smoothing and the more dramatic look to the eyes. I also like the warmer caste to it.

Debbie,Glenn, Gordon:

Thanks for the comments. The original was maybe a little overexposed but was also shot into the sun, which loses a lot of contrast. The double threshold black and white point trick does a good job getting rid of color casts and also getting a nice contrast pop.

cheers
wembley

I like the processing. I am impressed it was processed with NX2 and will have to learn more on how to use this software.

Thanks. I have cs5 also but only take things into their occasionally for a specific task. My raw files just come out so much better in NX2.

D300fan:

thanks

cheers
wembley

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom