Thoughts on Sigma 18-200 OS lens?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Bill N, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Bill N

Bill N Guest

Now that this lens has been out a while and maybe some of you have had some time with it I was wondering if you could share your thought of it? Samples?

Thinking of this as a inexpensive travel/light weight kit type lens. Thanks, Bill

2. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I have one, and really like it. It is a compromise lens for some purposes, but I feel it as good an all around lens as any. I took these two at the Houston Zoo last month.

HoustonZoo7_25_08208ac.

1/250 f6.3 200mm ISO 400 and cropped

HoustonZoo7_25_0837a.

1/100 f6.3 200mm ISO 400

3. Bill N

Bill N Guest

Thanks, Alan. Just trying to decide between the sigma and the nikon. I had a great copy of the nikon but sold it to pay for something else and have been kicking myself ever since. Decisions, decisions...

4. The Ben

The Ben

Oct 17, 2007
    Houston, Tx
    I had it, liked it, used it for about 2 months, started buying fixed 2.8 aperture lenses, didn't use it for 6 months, sold it.

5. Bill N

Bill N Guest

One more question if I may, I see that Sigma4less sells the lens and in description it states 1 year manufacturer warranty. Is that the standard Sigma warranty. Price is $389 plus shipping. Thanks, Bill

6. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    bill,

Sigmaforless does sell a lot of gray market, IIRC, but this lens only comes with a 1 year warranty anyway. The EX series get a longer 4 year warranty on US product. I got mine from Tri-State last November and paid $459.95. At the time, Sigmaforless either didn't list it or it was similar pricing.

7. Bill N

Bill N Guest

Thanks again, Alan. I have a couple feelers out on a couple used 18-200 Nikkors. If they fall through I will probably give the Sigma a go. At the $389 hard to go too wrong from what you and others have shared with me . Take care, Bill

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.