Thoughts on the Cafe'

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sbuttrick, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Hi Folks,

I joined the Cafe' two months ago on May 7th and wanted to share a few thoughts. First of all, this is by far the best forum on the net without exception. The reason I can make that bold claim is because of you, the members of the Cafe'. Cafe' members are simply the best! I used to spend most of my fourm time on several other sites, but got real sick of the nasty attacks that seemed to be so prevalent. I would see posts where someone truly needed help and they would get hammered for asking "such a stupid question", it really made me sick. Then I found the Cafe' from a post on the Nikonians site.........thank you Lord!

In the two month that I have been at the Cafe' I can't remember ever a harsh word spoken to another member. All of you are the kindest most helpful bunch of folks I have ever had the honor of knowing. Although I have not met one Cafe' member in person, I consider you all friends. The help and encouraging words that I have received from the likes of, Uncle Frank, Dave, Keith, Flew, Gale, Crystall, Leigh, Gaye, Phil ........ and the list goes on and on, really means a lot to me. I have bought a lens from Dave, a Wimberly Sidekick from Bill and sold a Spyder to Keith. It has been an privilege dealing with such honorable men.

I have found a home here at the Cafe' filled with wonderful friends. I sincerely mean it when I say you are all the best.

Thank You !

2. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Welcome home, Scott! Doesn't it feel nice to be in a safe place? I agree with your assessment when you say that the cafe members are all the best! Thanks for adding to the warm atmosphere.

3. Hi Scott and thanks for the nice tribute to each of us that reside here. I too have enjoyed the group here to the point that I have dropped all participation on other groups. There is something to be said for being congenial with one another. I too like it that way.

4. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    Glad you like the forum! Problem is that i dont have enough time to sort through all the posts.

The best thing is that its a Nikon forum! So there seems to be almost no mine does this posts! :)

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow, I must agree wholeheartedly..

I have met several mambers and they are truly wonderful folks.

Thank you for your kind words.

Thank all of your for being civil great folks and a place to call home :>)))))

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hey Scott,

Your assessment of the Cafe and it's members is totally accurate and I applaude you for taking the time to state your views. Since becoming a member in May, I have spent countless hours reading the various threads and I have found the information invaluable. I knew so little about digital photography before becoming a member and I feel much more comfortable with my equipment because of what I have learned here.
    I am in awe of the images that are posted here which inspires me to get out and give various types of photography a try. The animal images especially the hummers blow me away. I have posted some images now and then and I appreciate the constructive criticism that I have received, never being beaten up for not having the proper composition, clarity or sharpness...members have always been supportive.
    Each day, I have always looked forward to logging on to the Cafe to check in, read a few posts, learn a few things, offer an opinion or instruction...but most of all, I have made many new friends! Thanks everyone for treating me that way you would expect to be treated!!!

Thanks for starting this thread, Scott

7. Yep.

Those other sites are like teens under a streetlight Friday night.

This place is like friends around your kitchen table.

8. Yes, totally agree.

I have been browsing other forums for 4 years now and I never see the senseless rants and argueing that other sites have. I believe in having debates but, most the time the threads just go on and on and nothing ever comes out of them.

Not to mention, everybody here seems real friendly and helpful with lots of good advice. That is very nice! I do spend some time on the Texas Photo Forum and like that site as well.

I hope maybe I can go to one the photo shoots and meet some of the people from here and share ideas and experiences in person. That would be fun too.

9. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Let me add an example. Twig had posted on a lighting issue and recommended the Photek Softlighter (umbrella/softbox). I bought one, but had some difficulty setting it up, so I PM'd him to ask a question. He responded with detailed explanations and a series of photographs to explain what I needed to do. That's Nikon Cafe . . . :D

10. Example 2:

I just happened to be browsing some thread and came across a post from Gale who casually mentioned she had a lense for sale. After a couple PMs she sent lense and I sent money. Both of us essentially going with the old way of doing business and based on trust. She trusted me to send the funds I trusted her to send the lense. That is just the way it is suppose to be and how I like to do things. And of course, this happens all the time on this site. Oh yeah, and she included a very nice picture that she took of some hawks (Hawks Gale?) and a feather. Really neat! I am getting a frame for it and hanging it up. Now that is the "Nikon Cafe" Way!

11. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Scott & Everyone,

The Cafe is what it is because of members like you. We wanted to have a site where folks could come and visit with their friends, and share a passion for photography. It has become more than that. Cafe members don't just share their photographic experiences, you share your entire lives, both good times and bad. I feel like I know many Cafe members better than the people I work with every day. I mean, I have even gotten to know and enjoy your pets. 8)

You have become the best friends that I've ever had. ;-)

Thanks,

12. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I agree

I was so sad to leave my beloved Olympus forum on DPreview when I bought my D70. (I still visit there once in a while). It was so similar to this in that everyone was so friendly and helpful. I am so grateful to have found this wonderful place. Wish I had more hours to spend here. You are all wonderful. Hope this forum always stays so great!!!

Besides being wonderul people, you are wonderful photographers as well. I am learning so much from all of you.

13. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Simply put, it's just fun to hang out with y'all!

14. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Mark,
    Thank you very much.

They are Golden Eagles.

Been a pleasure Friend.

15. Well said, Scott. I totally agree with you. This forum, and all my friends here, are just incredible.

In the 'new member introductions', I said I came here to learn. And in this short period of time, I did learn more than I expected, not only about photography but also others things in life.

I just wish that I can contribute more to the Cafe.