1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Thoughts on the "D760"?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by billtils, May 11, 2018.

1. billtils

billtils

Apr 3, 2018
    By accident, stumbled on a blog post suggesting the D750 update, a.k.a. D760, would soon be announced. A search for "D760" produced more results that expected, but these were of course all of the expected non-specific and fanciful nature.

There did seem to be a clear division between some that expected only a minor tweak - increased frame rate perhaps, and those that expected quite a jump - 4K video, 30+ MP sensor, perhaps accompanied by an end to the D610.

Any thoughts on what you'd like to see, and what you expect?

2. Wonder if they are still making the D750 ? On sale in lots of places these days.
    Anyway I'd expect a D760, knowing Nikon, to be like going from a D7200 to a D7500, in other words a downgrade.

3. They will probably be removing the screw drive AF soon to force us up to the "D510". They seem to be progressively removing high end features to force us to spend more for the same features.

4. billtils

billtils

Apr 3, 2018
    The D7500 is a downgrade? From the specs and feedback from a user (admittedly the only one I've encountered so far) the 7500 looks like a substantial UPgrade. I'd go as far as to say I'd hope that the D7200 to 7500 move would be a very welcome way to go for the D750 to 760.

5. Single card slot, less megapixels [not an issue for me] - the D7200 even has a slightly higher sensor score

6. billtils

billtils

Apr 3, 2018
    There's a lot to like described here.

7. There is a lot to like, as with the D7200 but:

As they mention regarding one card slot - "but the inability to back up files on the fly is still likely to concern a section of prospective users." I wouldn't use the D7500 for a wedding shoot - I'd rather have the D7200
    This comment "While this combination means a slight reduction in image resolution compared to the D7200’s 24.72MP chip, many users will be more than willing to overlook that in return for being able to produce notably cleaner images at high ISOs."
    I'm not seeing it.
    Screen Shot 2018-05-12 at 8.37.11 PM.

8. I think this explains the gist of that article. Screen Shot 2018-05-12 at 8.42.03 PM.

9. Well the one good thing for me about a new model is the people who want to upgrade and the used D750 prices dropping.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. billtils

billtils

Apr 3, 2018
    Hi Desmond

I basically agree with much of what you say, but at the end of the day what matters is how any alteration in a model jump will affect the user.

For me, the higher ISO limit would not matter (and it's a lesser issue on a FF body). I do like having two card slots but since I changed to 64GB ones some time ago, I've never had to depend on the slot two overflow (which is what I use it for) and in any case packing a second card is not a burden. An upgrade to type of card could be of interest.

What would appeal is an upgrade to the Expeed 5 engine and increased frame rate as I do shoot BIF and (a few) sports events but not enough to make me want to move back to a DX body (I had a D7100). Other than that, it would come down to the price difference - if it's too much I'd either stick with the 750 or go to the 850.

However, others may be more interested in changes (up or down) to different features.

Thanks for your input - I enjoyed it and have been a bit surprised there was only one comment from a D750 owner!

11. The biggest advantage of two card slots is not storage and having overflow, it's the ability to have instant backup of your files - save exactly the same file to both cards at once - if one card gets corrupted you are saved by the other one.
    Almost essential in professional shoots.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Otherwise as you say it depends what you will be using it for. For someone into video having a 4K body might be more important than twin card slots, the wildlife shooter will want the faster frame rate - but some of us who don't need the video or faster frame rate really feel safer having two card slots :) 

• Like Like x 1
  13. My primary camera is a D750. I also have a D500 and a D5600 (purchased "used" but almost new).

I like the D750 a lot, so much so that I will be taking it and the D500 on a bucket list photo safari to Costa Rica this coming January. I considered getting a D850 but for my needs can't justify the move. The D750's limitations (for my usage) aren't limitations. The relatively low frame rate is not an issue since I don't shoot sports and for BIF the D500 has served so far. The lower pixel density has never been an issue. A few years back I spent a few day at the Monte Vista NWR to commune with the sandhill cranes. All I had was the D750, a Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 (VRII) and a Nikon 1.4 TC. I had to do some serious cropping for many of the keepers but even after cropping they were still keepers.

FWIW I think the D750 upgrade is already here. It is called the D850. Yes, a lot more money but to replicate the extraordinary value that the D700 and D750 represent(ed) would be a foolish economic move for Nikon. At $3300 a pop (USD) they can't keep D850's in stock. Why make an "almost-a-D850" for a thousand bucks less. Yes, it would sell very well and make lots of folks like me very happy. But it would also cannibalize D850 sales.

Who knows what Nikon will do. Nikon is a very Japanese company, meaning folks from Japan struggle to understand the company's thinking and strategy and all of us non-Japanese have no chance at figuring it all out.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Yesterday I went to a Nikon demo day here in Los Angeles and the rep said Nikon will be focusing on mirrorless for possible release end of year. It seems Nikon is shifting priorities big time.

15. Russ_

Russ_

Feb 20, 2011
    New Zealand
    Only thing I'd like to see if the frame rate a bit higher on a D760. And a quieter shutter.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.