Thoughts on the Nikon 135mm f/2D

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by gerryblake, Jul 19, 2007.

1. gerryblake

gerryblake

Jan 29, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    Just wondering what people are thinking about this lens. Any input would be great. I would be using it to shoot mostly portraits. Thanks.

2. Great lens, but the 105 2DC is slightly better. Also the 85 1.4D is great. I have all three and the 85 gets used the most.

GenoP

3. gerryblake

gerryblake

Jan 29, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks for your input! I have been looking at the 85mm as well. I just can not make up my mind. Ok, back to work.

4. Hi Gerry

if I'm not wrong, ZBaum has one... try asking him.. Anyway, my 105 is just wonderful.. and the DC feature is really nice, even if I use it really for soft focus as here... for women is just the cherry on the cake!

F/2 - DC not set
    [​IMG]

F/2 - DC set rear 5.6 - focused on the right ear and then recomposed
    [​IMG]

5. Quite frankly, all three are equally good, however the 105 outperforms the 135 by just a slight hair when shot wide open......If your looking long term the 85 and 135 work well together. on the other hand the 105 works real well with a 17-35/55. The 85 is also a little more flexible, in that I often use it for landscapes. I like using the 105 fir street photography also.

GenoP

Nikon D2Xs ,Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D IF AF
    1/250s f/2.0 at 85.0mm iso200 with Flash
    original.

Nikon D2x ,Nikkor 135mm f/2D AF-DC
    1/250s f/5.6 at 135.0mm iso125
    View attachment 106803

Nikon D2h ,Nikkor 105mm f/2D AF DC
    1/1250s f/4.0 at 105.0mm iso200
    View attachment 106804

6. Dear Geno,

I'm lucky I already have both the 85 and the 105 otherwise you would tempt me quite a lot!

7. Yes they are both great lenses, and I was lucky to get a great copy of the 105, however I sold it to Doug. He decided he really wanted a 28 1.4D, so to fund it, he offered the 105 back. I regretted selling that lens after it was gone, and I had given up thinking I would ever get such a great copy, so I grabbed the opportunity to get it back.

My friend Ron Reznick tried three copies of the 105DC and never got one as good as mine, so he gave up trying, however he does have a great copy of the 135. I got to use his 135 when in Yosemite, and his 135 is slightly better than mine, but I am still very happy with the one I got.

Finny thing is living in Italy, I would think you would not be able to not have an 85 1.4D. I'd love to visit that country as I am mostly italian, and I know I would definitely not go there without the 28 1.4D and 85 1.4D.

GenoP

8. gerryblake

gerryblake

Jan 29, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks for all the help guys. The pics are great! What is a guy to do with so many choices, lol........

9. Hi Geno,
    well, the 28 is really a great lens too, here you can't get any copy, and the few ones you can find on ebay have a *stellar* price... stars like the effect you have when you receive an uppercut by Iron Mike or so...

10. I think there will be an alternative in the near future, but I need mine until that happens.

GenoP

11. ZBaum

ZBaum Guest

That I do. Mine has gotten a decent range of uses, but of course the primary application is portraiture. In bright sunlight you have to be careful of blowing highlights, because when used wide open this lens will give you some CA. That said, it's very nice even when used wide open, and the bokeh is top notch. AF is pretty fast on my D70, and I'm planning on using mine for some sports this coming fall and winter. Here's a few examples:

1/125 @ f/5, handheld
    [​IMG]

1/800 @ f/2
    [​IMG]

1/500 @ f/2.8
    [​IMG]

12. Hi Zach, I guess Gerry is beating his head against the wall.... joking aside, I'm sure we both arose his lust quite a bit!

13. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

ok what's the alternative?
    :tongue:

14. Personally I have no idea, and it's total speculation, however knowing some of Nikon's history, there should be some kind of replacement for the 28 1.4D. I my opinion, and only my opinion, it will most likely be some sort of economically priced fast wide angle lens. Also I would think there is a new 50 on the horizon. The D40 has given us a lot of clues, but it seems like nobody is listening. I would bet the ranch on either a 24 1.4 or 35 1.4, and possibly a 50 1.2.

GenoP

15. gerryblake

gerryblake

Jan 29, 2007
    Raleigh, NC

LOL, yeah this is not an easy pick. Called the local photo shop up yesterday and asked if they had any used 135mm laying around. Of course not, but they did have a 85, but it is the 1.8. Then last night I was thinking that the 180mm might work for me as well. Does anyone have both the 135 and 180 that could tell me how they compair. Thanks for all the helpful info guys :)

16. I have both the 135 and the 180. The 135 has a more pronounced 'character', especially once you get the hang of using the DC feature. Sharpness is only comparable to the 180 from say f4-f8, whereas my 180 seems razor sharp at any aperture.

17. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Did y'all see the August edition of Pop Photo has a feature article on the 135?

18. Good evening, Chris,
    could you post the link to the article? I can't find it.
    Thanks

19. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    these are not spectacular attempts, just quick handhelds at F2 with flash, don't ask why, not sure why I had the aperture set to 135mm f2. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. gerryblake

gerryblake

Jan 29, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    I was looking for it as well. Have a great weekend everyone!!