Thoughts on the Nikon 24-85 f2.8-4 zoom ?

Just curious, I read the reviews on this lens, but don't hear too much about it. I was interested in people's experience with this lens and any samples taken with it. I was wondering how the Nikon 18-70 DX would compare in overlapping ranges / overall rendition.

Thanks,
Daniel

Im not sure how much help this is going to be but I did have occasaion to "test" one of these lens for a short time. From the limited time and capture's that I made on a D2H the 24-85 2.8-4 seemed like a really good lens. Most of the test photo's I did where with a Sb800 and every capture was really sharp. I think there is more than one version, the one I used had the "good" glass.
I wouldnt minded buying it, but the price was I thought to high for a used copy. Since than I pick up an old 24 2.8 AIS and also have a 35 F2 and 85 1.4 so I guess Im covered.
I must say out of all the auto focus I have tried I really liked the range and feel of this lens. I still havent pulled the trigger on a auto focus lens for my self , but this and the 14-24 2.8 would seem to cover alot of ground and half a dozen primes.

I just checked my files and a brochure and the one I used had aspherical lens elements .

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one, dont use it that much. Not because it is a bad lens, but there are lighter DX alternatives like the 18-70 to go hiking with. When a finaly go FX format, the 24-85 will certainly go in my pack. I do like the fact it has the ability to focus very close to your subject.

I have this lens and its my 'walk around lens'. It does portraits and macro work very well. If you can pick one up for a reasonable price, I would definitely recommend it. Here are some samples.

My mother:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A macro shot:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

AM

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom