Thoughts on the Nikon 24-85 f2.8-4 zoom ?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by watsonD50, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Just curious, I read the reviews on this lens, but don't hear too much about it. I was interested in people's experience with this lens and any samples taken with it. I was wondering how the Nikon 18-70 DX would compare in overlapping ranges / overall rendition.

Thanks,
    Daniel

2. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Im not sure how much help this is going to be but I did have occasaion to "test" one of these lens for a short time. From the limited time and capture's that I made on a D2H the 24-85 2.8-4 seemed like a really good lens. Most of the test photo's I did where with a Sb800 and every capture was really sharp. I think there is more than one version, the one I used had the "good" glass.
    I wouldnt minded buying it, but the price was I thought to high for a used copy. Since than I pick up an old 24 2.8 AIS and also have a 35 F2 and 85 1.4 so I guess Im covered.
    I must say out of all the auto focus I have tried I really liked the range and feel of this lens. I still havent pulled the trigger on a auto focus lens for my self , but this and the 14-24 2.8 would seem to cover alot of ground and half a dozen primes.

I just checked my files and a brochure and the one I used had aspherical lens elements .

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2008
  3. I have one, dont use it that much. Not because it is a bad lens, but there are lighter DX alternatives like the 18-70 to go hiking with. When a finaly go FX format, the 24-85 will certainly go in my pack. I do like the fact it has the ability to focus very close to your subject.

4. I have this lens and its my 'walk around lens'. It does portraits and macro work very well. If you can pick one up for a reasonable price, I would definitely recommend it. Here are some samples.

My mother:

DSC_0044copy.jpg

A macro shot:

DSC_0761copy.jpg

AM

5. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    Have one and like it a lot....very useful with the 1:2 Macro and the 24 @ 2.8...