1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Thoughts on the Nikon 24-85 f2.8-4 zoom ?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by watsonD50, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Just curious, I read the reviews on this lens, but don't hear too much about it. I was interested in people's experience with this lens and any samples taken with it. I was wondering how the Nikon 18-70 DX would compare in overlapping ranges / overall rendition.

Thanks,
    Daniel

2. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Im not sure how much help this is going to be but I did have occasaion to "test" one of these lens for a short time. From the limited time and capture's that I made on a D2H the 24-85 2.8-4 seemed like a really good lens. Most of the test photo's I did where with a Sb800 and every capture was really sharp. I think there is more than one version, the one I used had the "good" glass.
    I wouldnt minded buying it, but the price was I thought to high for a used copy. Since than I pick up an old 24 2.8 AIS and also have a 35 F2 and 85 1.4 so I guess Im covered.
    I must say out of all the auto focus I have tried I really liked the range and feel of this lens. I still havent pulled the trigger on a auto focus lens for my self , but this and the 14-24 2.8 would seem to cover alot of ground and half a dozen primes.

I just checked my files and a brochure and the one I used had aspherical lens elements .

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2008
  3. I have one, dont use it that much. Not because it is a bad lens, but there are lighter DX alternatives like the 18-70 to go hiking with. When a finaly go FX format, the 24-85 will certainly go in my pack. I do like the fact it has the ability to focus very close to your subject.

4. I have this lens and its my 'walk around lens'. It does portraits and macro work very well. If you can pick one up for a reasonable price, I would definitely recommend it. Here are some samples.

My mother:

DSC_0044copy.

A macro shot:

DSC_0761copy.

AM

5. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    Have one and like it a lot....very useful with the 1:2 Macro and the 24 @ 2.8...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.