Thoughts on the Z Teleconverters?

Real Name
Andrew
Well, that makes things less attractive to me, since I don't plan to own that lens. 😥 I wonder what makes a lens 'compatible'.
how the lens is built. If you look at the mount end of a Z prime or the 24-70/4, you’ll see that the rear glass is almost flush with the end of the lens.
Contrast that with the mount end of the 70-200 and you’ll see there is quite a space between the rear of the mount and where the glass element starts.

the glass protrusion on the TC needs to fit in there.

I’m surmising great the future long telephoto zooms or 300mm+ prime lenses will be made same as the Z70-200.

the biggest improvement I've seen in the z6 is AF accuracy which is probably because I don't fine tune DSLR (but I'm gonna)
Simple as that!

This why I feel right at home in the mirrorless Z world. For my images, I don't really need the über-quick, ultra-fast AF performance the birders need. But I like the long tele lenses. And I prefer my shots to be sharp.

I wasn't happy having to AFFT lenses, lenses+TC, lenses at different focusing distances, multiple camera bodies, ... the whole long story. And don't dare to work in different light, or closer, or... don't speak of zoom lenses.

Z - that's it. Mount tele, AF, nailed. Every distance. Every teleconverter.

the biggest improvement I've seen in the z6 is AF accuracy which is probably because I don't fine tune DSLR (but I'm gonna)
I sent both my DSLR bodies to NPS for a recall fix. When I received them, they were calibrated exactly the same, so when I do AF fine tune on my lenses I use the same adjustment settings on both cameras. The only hard part is with telephoto lenses, unless you have a body like the D780 that allows fine tuning at multiple focal lengths.

Z-Body - Z-TC - FTZ - F-TC - F-lens…

Would that work?

Kind regards
Klaus
According to Thom Hogan new Z TC's will not work with FTZ adopter. As no TC are available yet nobody tried but the reason may be rectagonal baffle inside the FTZ preventing TC protrusion to fit. Other reason, new TC are optimised for Z lenses and 70-200 is first to be released, there are also few new long zooms (100-400 and 200-600) on the road map, so wait and see.

Real Name
Don Roy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
From reading all this I suspect the optical aspect of the TC is compatible with anything, but physically, it will only mount up today with that one Z lens. You can see that the back glass is close on many Z lenses, and the FTZ has a frame-size rectangular hole through it, not round.

I'm excited about the stated minimal loss of IQ. Light is lost, but with the low light performance of today's cameras that is less of a thing. Looks a little dangerous, though; if you put it on the wrong way around you can easily damage the sensor.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom