Thoughts on the Z Teleconverters?

Real Name
Don Roy
I'm both somewhat new to Nikon and also have never used a teleconverter. Nikon announced Z 1.4x and a 2x teleconverters, now available for pre-order. With the generally slow moving Z lens rollout, a teleconverter may be handy. I'd appreciate hearing seasoned opinions on them. ?

For me, as one that favors wildlife photography, they really won't do me much good until we have some long lens options with Z mount.

As it stands, all my F Mount glass works great with the current TC's via FTZ.

Come on 200-600!
Better yet, how 'bout a Z500PF or Z600PF!

Don: One thing to know about teleconverters in general is that you do have some light loss -- usually about one f/stop with a 1.4x TC -- so that often it is better to use them in situations where there is really good, strong light on the scene. A TC offers advantages -- by putting one on a lens one increases the reach, which can sometimes make all the difference. They're small and easy to carry along in the camera bag, ready to slip on at a moment's notice, and just as easy to remove when not needed. One does have to check compatibility with lenses, as not all can work with them.

I use a TC on my 100-400mm quite often now, and that gets the reach out to 560mm. This works well for me when walking around my neighborhood capturing the wildlife (mainly birds and squirrels) or when I go to a local botanical gardens. If need be, I can take the TC off the 100-400 and stick it on the 200-600mm (which primarily lives on the tripod) to extend my reach with that lens, too, out to 840mm. Since both of those lenses are fairly slow, in terms of shooting in cloudy or not very bright days it's not as beneficial as using a TC on a prime 400mm or 600mm but it does the job on days when there is lots of sunshine and natural light.

Real Name
Randy
in general I hate TC-s, they steal image quality and light. But in this new mirrorless world they will probably be better, AF accuracy will be for sure

Real Name
Randy
Yes, I can vouch for that with my Sony gear. AF accuracy is fine on both lenses with or without the TC.
the biggest improvement I've seen in the z6 is AF accuracy which is probably because I don't fine tune DSLR (but I'm gonna)

Great topic, Don!

I seem to remember that neither TC plays well with my 70 - 300 AFP. Is that correct or is this yet another case of my faulty memory? (At least I remember that my memory is faulty. For now. :D )
That lens is not compatible with Nikon TC. I'm not sure if there are other brands that work with it.

I've never understood that concern in this age when so many people (including me) rave about the quality of high ISO values.
True enough. But there is also an endless argument regarding the slight loss of acuity vs simply enlarging in post (or shooting in DX mode with a mirrorless) - particularly with the advent of high megapixel (D850/Z7) cameras that gave you plenty of POBs (Pixels on Bird).

I thought the general thinking was that a 1.4TC was probably worth it, a 1.7 was a wash, and with a 2.0TC you were often better off simply enlarging in post because of both the loss of acuity from adding glass plus the sometimes increase in ISO. As with all these internet, umm, discussions it is all application dependent - what works perfectly well for some is problematic for others.

One hopes that the Z TC's will up the game over the old style. But we'll see.

The question I have is whether the ZTC's can be used in conjunction with the FTZ adapter for virtually any G lens . . . Nikon isn't saying so far as I can tell . . .

I had to laugh when he wrote:

"Plus, at $400, it is an inexpensive lens, even when compared to the Nikon Z 24-70mm f/4 S. So it is also a great entry point for those on budget, wanting to get into the Nikon Z system."

Now I'm not squeamish when it comes to photography budgets, but it is still a stretch to call anything that costs $400 "inexpensive". It's a trade of 1.33 stops, 20mm of reach, some weather sealing , better coatings and probably some acuity for a more compact form factor.

Latest threads

Top Bottom