Thoughts on this Launch Shot. SpaceX Falcon 9 Rocket, Shot from about 80 MilesAway.

One of my first night launches, from 1:19 a.m. this morning, 29 degrees out at Flagler Beach. Interested in what I can do to improve since I'm a bird photographer and we don't shoot at night very often. I set up the D7200/16-80 vr on a tripod with a shutter release cable. I stopped the aperture down a little so the moonlight wouldn't blow out the shot with the longer exposure. Using the "time" option I kept the shutter open until the arc got to the moon then I closed it down. Minimal crop, and I had to straighten the horizon a little. Otherwise not a lot of processing. Any advice is appreciated since there's another launch scheduled at 5:15 tomorrow morning. (They're really bangin' 'em out these days down here.)

rocket2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Real Name
Ken St John
Given the position of the moon, I think you've done very well with this. I had a smilier problem trying my first night shots in Monument Valley ... a big full moon in the wrong spot!!

I'm very familiar with the launches from Vandenberg AFB in California, and the cape. What type of rocket is this?

Cheers!!

Ken

I am just a humble bird photographer too, but this looks very good. I like the black, the shadows, highlight, and composition. You will have to exhibit it with a title so viewers who are not into space launches know what it is a photo of.

Given the position of the moon, I think you've done very well with this. I had a smilier problem trying my first night shots in Monument Valley ... a big full moon in the wrong spot!!

I'm very familiar with the launches from Vandenberg AFB in California, and the cape. What type of rocket is this?

Cheers!!

Ken
Thanks for the thought. This is a SpaceX Falcon 9 delivering satellites. Shot from about 80 miles away, to the north.

It must be fun to venture into a realm of photography that is new to you. I really like the composition. I wonder if you considered make one photo of the moon at an exposure that displays the detail that is then merged as a composite with another photo of the rest of the scene.
That would work but I've never done it before. I know next to nothing about processing photos. Tomorrow morning I'll shoot the moon to get details before the launch, then maybe experiment.

JLH

I would be very pleased to get a photo like this...very good! As has been pointed out, Mr. Moon is not your friend in this photo but there are things that can be done in post to change that.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom