Thoughts on Ultrawide lens..........

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by DAVE VAN, Aug 24, 2005.

1. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    On my wish list is a wide angle zoom. I am presently limited to my 18-70.
    I find that I do a lot of shooting at the 18mm setting and wish I could go wider.
    I have been thinking of the Tamron 11-18 which has gotten very good reviews and the samples that I have seen from it look great or the Sigma 10-20 which seems to suffer from sharpness issues. I am also seriously considering the Nikkor 10.5mm Fisheye lens as I really don't think I would really need a zoom in this range. I would like the 10.5 for the effects of a fisheye for those "artsy" photos.
    I am not considering the (3) 12-24 offerings.
    I have noticed a few of you have the 10.5, what are your feelings on this lense and are you sorry for buying it? Do you use it often or do you think a wide angle zoom would be more practical? Any examples from the 10.5 would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2005
  2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hi Dave! Ultrawides and fisheyes are very interesting beasts (small b). Now that they go down to 10mm, they get into some very strange territory. Also the 10.5 Nikkor can be defished to make an ultra-ultrawide picture. Some wide angle guidance and tips would also be apprecated, in addition to examples.

I'm wondering though why you aren't looking at the 12-24 set? 12mm too long? :wink:

3. Dave
    for what it is worth I have owned the 12-24 twice now and briefly the 10.5. I did not like the effects of the 10.5 and even tho nikon capture could correct for fisheye, the lens seemed cheap in overall quality to me. The 12-24 gives extremely sharp images and is a valued part of my gear. I do not use it alot, but I found that I can not do with out it.
    Dave

4. Hi Dave. I share the same interest. I was also considering the 12-24 from Tokina, though I have no experience with it.
    This can be useful :
    http://www.photo.net/equipment/wideangle-dslr.html

5. I went for the Tamron 11-18. I love it. Someday I will setup and account to post more images, but people at my office only say wow when they look at my various 11x17 prints which I took with this lens. I have a very nice shot from the Grand Canyon in July. I have been extremely pleased with this lens.

Hope this is useful,

6. If I already had an 18-70 and felt it still wasn't wide enough, I'd probably be looking to go as far as I could with a prime, and end up wanting the 10.5. Somebody here mentioned the build quality of that lens not being as high as others. Maybe...I don't know. I do know that images people take with that lens often impresses me. And if you're after an ultra-wide effect, NC has the ability of straightening the fish-eye into just that, and it does it pretty well. Personally the 10.5 is on my wish list. I'd love to see what I could with it for ultra-wide landscapes.

7. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Hello Chris;
    Because of the "high" price of these lenses I want to get the widest I can for my money. I had a copy of the Tamron 17-35 f/2.8-4 that was great. Image quality was outstanding. I had to sell it though to fund another purchase. I am confident that the Tamron 11-18 will be of similar quality. The Nikkor 12-24, although maybe very good quality is out of my price range for a wide angle lens. I am intrigued by some of the images I have seen from the 10.5 fisheye. I enjoy taking abstract "artsy" images and I think I could have some fun with this lens.

8. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Dave, thanks for the response.
    I reviewed the exif data on a lot of my photos and the majority of them were taken at the extreme wide settings of my lenses. I am sure the 12-24 is a great lens just a little expensive for me. The price of the 10.5 is attractive and it wouldn't be on the camera all the time so I think I would chance the build quality. I am wondering if the effects of the fisheye, even with correcting in PS, are more of a deterrent than a standard wide angle.

9. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Scott, I would really like to see some examples from this lens. Pbase has no samples at the present time. Please post some when you get a chance or email some samples if you can and I will post them for others if it is ok with you.

10. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Using the 10.5 with "de-fishing" when you really want a rectilinear image is a mistake IMHO. The defishing process seriously degrades image quality outside the center of the image. The results might be OK for posting to the web or small prints, but that's about it.

If you want to take fisheye pictures, buy the 10.5. If you want to take rectilinear pictures, buy one of the recitilinear lenses.

11. Jeff may be right. Jeff, do you know of a review that has tested this? It makes sense to me, enough that I'd want to talk to owners of the lens before buying it for rectillinear purposes. But I would not be surprised if NC were able to do this quite well, actually.

I have not dealt with extreme wide primes. What is the the widest angle before you begin to go curvular? 12...14?

12. OK...

So I remebered I posted a few of the "first shots" from the Tamron 11-18 when I purchased it to my ".mac" account a month ago. They are here, I hope they are a good start. I will try :wink: and post better examples tonight.

Enjoy,

13. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    The widest rectilinear is the 10-20mm Sigma. The only 180 degree fisheye is the 10.5mm Nikkor. It isn't the focal length that makes a lens recty or fishy, it's the optical design.

14. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I took a look at the new Sigma 10-20 and it seemed ok, I don't think I would pick it over the Tokina 12-24 that I own now. I like the constant aperture of the Tokina.

15. comparison of 12-24 10.5 fishey on a landscape

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    12-24

16. Dave,

Here are some samples from the Grand Canyon I spoke of before.

I think they are a fair representation of the lens. Keep in mind these where taken at the worst time of the day (2:00), but it was when I was there.

Enjoy,

17. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Thanks Dave for the samples. I have to admit that I like the sample from the 10.5 better than the 12-24. I like the fisheye effect on the image, and also the 180 deg FOV.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2005
  18. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Nice shots Scott. I am back to choosing between the Tamron 11-18 or the Nikkor 10.5
    I am leaning towards the 10.5 at this time.

19. digitalfrog

digitalfrog Guest

the 10.5 is bolted to my camera ;-)

I use it too much... really. I love it soo much it's my number 1 used lens. Of course, I have a specific need as a cover night life and concerts as a (side) job and that's the perfect lens for it.
    I never defisheye my pictures because I like the look it gives at the first place , but that's personal taste.

I guess you might get that hate or love reaction when people will see your pictures made with a 10.5.

I have had no problems whatsoever with the build quality. It even got sprayed with gasoline once and did not suffer from it ! (well, drops off it)

Here are a couple of shots, the exif are available here: http://www.pbase.com/digitalfrog

and in a different style:

Ralph

20. I have to say, every time I see images like this, I really want one.