Three Aeshnas + some stuff

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by j.ankanpaa, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Hi!

Went to see the biggest Aeshna we have here, A. crenata. Saw many of them but was able to shoot only females as males were to buzy to think what´s best for me...

Female A. crenata, a bit difficult to translate its name (Isoukonkorento) as word Ukko means basically an old man but is also name of the highest god in Finnish mytology. So its name would be something like Big Old Man´s Dragon...Or a Big Ancient God´s Dragon :biggrin:

Very agressive species towards other Aeshnas to the point of excluding them from the habitat... Same as Emperor... I think me and Torben should pick a date and net these two Dragons and put them in a same room and see which one is going to escape out of the window :biggrin:

I also spotted a female A. subarctica (Bog Old Man´s Dragon) emerging, my first Aeshna emergence

I really love how the exuvia looks like self illuminated
    310708008copy.

Ready for the maiden flight

As male Aeshnas weren´t in the mood of posing I tried some DIFs... nothing spetacular as they weren´t even mood for that and kept their distance... 3 x male A. juncea (Blue Old Man´s Dragon)

Sympetrum danaes (Dark Autumn Dragon) are always fun to watch. Despite being very small they can be very agressive.

S. danae pair doing more S. danaes

Another tiny species which can be found on bog ponds, a Leucorrhinia albifrons (Slender Pond Dragon)

Some Onychogomphus forcipatuses (Tongs River Dragon), ofcourse... These´re males

And finally a Cordulegaster boltonii (Brook Dragon). This one has a serious eye damage but didn´t seem to affect his hunting. Below it you can see the head of a wasp he just ate... at original size it also looks like he has a hole on his thorax... Difficult to say what happened, maybe a bird or a stick etc poked those holes during emergence...

All shots taken with D200 + Nikkor 300mm AF-S f/4

Thanks for looking!!! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2008
  2. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Wow, Jukka
    You had some great outings... or outing. Really nice dragons. The Aeshna emerging is very cool. I haven't seen any of anything emerge. Your DIF shots are wonderful as well.

3. thomye

thomye

Jan 7, 2008
    California
    these pictures are SICK! mid-flight of the dfly is crazy.

4. Beautiful shots Jukka - can't wait to get out this weekend with my D300 and my 300 F/4 and try shooting Dragons again (but I'll have to watch out for the rattlesnakes!)

5. wow....
    what a great series
    that one IN FLIGHT.... YIKES !!!!
    awesome

6. Counter

Counter

Sep 18, 2007
    London
    Stunning series Jukka, especially the DIF's :eek: 

7. Wow all amazing. I bought an insect guide so it is back to the bog for me. Very inspiring work!

8. DIF!! wow nice. Always amazing when you see those DIF were with 300mm lens. All beautiful. When you say biggest , like how big are these things? I think once they get to bird sized I would be shooting them from afar.
    Last year a Cicada flew in my van and landed on my neck and I thoght I was gonna crash

9. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Hi Jukka. Excellent shots as usual. Aeshnas are some of my favorite dragons and although it is nice to see more and more of them, it is also a little sad as it means that the end of the season is approaching and my small fiery friends, the L. quad. and L. depressa are getting scarce.

Like a Danish - Finnish national game. :biggrin: It would not be a pretty sight. :eek:  I think you better keep the crenatas up in Finland. We don't even have a name for him. :biggrin:

10. Great series! That last one is great, the damaged eye and thorax sure give him character.

11. Thanks everyone!

I only found one measurement in the net and it was 3.4 in but I don´t actually know what that measurement means (body lenght most likely) so I´ll edit this as soon as I get home...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.