Three Bears

A few from the files from a couple of years ago. Spent an hour or so in a boat watching this mom and two cubs. It's really interesting watching the cubs mimic everything that mom does. They were feeding on the muscles plus anything they could find by flipping over rocks. They ate the muscles shell and all. They topped off the seafood buffet with berries from devil's club bushes.

1) First sighting. The family cautiously evaluating us from behind a rock.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2) Both cubs had blond collars but this one was really distinct. Such cute little guys.

3) They tried to follow mom's lead but the muscles were a little easier for her to scrape off the rocks and crunch up.

4) Making dessert of the devil's club berries just before heading off into the forest. For anyone unfamiliar with devil's club it gets its name from the fact that it is covered with long thorns on the stalk and the leaves are prickly and irritating when rubbed against bare skin.

Top notch work Dan, these are all fantastic images.
Thanks, Louie. Looking at these brings it back like yesterday.
Great find. So cute. 3 is my favorite
Thanks, Allan. That's my fave of the set too.
Wonderful...Would love to witness this in the wild. Until then keep these coming please
Thanks, Bob. I'll try to pull a few more from the files.
Great images and story, Dan! Thanks for these on this dreary, rainy day!
Glad you enjoyed them, Karen. Today was our first sunshine for quite a while.
Really nice set drr1531.
Baby bears is always fun to watch. 🐻
Thanks, Bob.
These are so enjoyable to view!! The cubs are so cute.
Thanks, Terri. Sometimes it's hard to remember that they're wild animals.

Great set of images- wow.
I read once that essentially any photographer that has been doing this for 10yrs or more would be more productive if they would stop shooting for a while and use the time to go back through their archives. We all have great stuff hidden away that we have never worked on.
But, what fun is that?
thanks for sharing these great images
gary

Great set of images- wow.
I read once that essentially any photographer that has been doing this for 10yrs or more would be more productive if they would stop shooting for a while and use the time to go back through their archives. We all have great stuff hidden away that we have never worked on.
But, what fun is that?
thanks for sharing these great images
Glad you enjoyed the post, Gary. I do some degree of archive cleaning every winter. Less so now that we travel south and I do some shooting. But I figure there will be time to rummage through the files and memory lane when I'm not able to get in the field any more.
Lovelt set Dan!
Thanks, Binnur.

A few from the files from a couple of years ago. Spent an hour or so in a boat watching this mom and two cubs. It's really interesting watching the cubs mimic everything that mom does. They were feeding on the muscles plus anything they could find by flipping over rocks. They ate the muscles shell and all. They topped off the seafood buffet with berries from devil's club bushes.

1) First sighting. The family cautiously evaluating us from behind a rock.
View attachment 1676696

2) Both cubs had blond collars but this one was really distinct. Such cute little guys.
View attachment 1676697

3) They tried to follow mom's lead but the muscles were a little easier for her to scrape off the rocks and crunch up.
View attachment 1676698

4) Making dessert of the devil's club berries just before heading off into the forest. For anyone unfamiliar with devil's club it gets its name from the fact that it is covered with long thorns on the stalk and the leaves are prickly and irritating when rubbed against bare skin.
View attachment 1676699

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom