Critique Three farm scenes in West Virginia

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The tonal range of #1 is exquisite, the wood looks old, the stainless steel looks silver (not white) and the shadows are deep and interesting.
#2 is an unusual perspective, made even stronger by the cow in the gateway!
#3 is a peaceful, pastoral frozen in time scene. The sky is a bit boring.

Beautifully seen and executed.
The cow makes #2. What a glorious addition!
I think I would get rid of the lettering on the barn, adds nothing and distracts from the cow.
Locally the lettering might mean something so may be important.
I was always taught that lettering either belonged and was important to the image, or needs to go away.
Gary

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you to Nick, Walter, Karen, Ken, Gary, John and Allan!

The cow was peacefully lying down exactly where it was standing in the photo, seemingly ignoring everything in the world. When I walked up to the fence to take the photo, it was very aware of me and immediately stood up. It remained motionless the entire time I was there. I don't know what it did as I walked away.

The area's politics are strongly conservative and the name on the barn reflects that view. Thus, that lettering is part of the story being told.

The sky in the last photo was a bit more "interesting" before I post-processed it. The puffy clouds made the scene too busy to my taste, so I reduced the contrast between the clouds and the rest of the sky.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks also to @greyflash!

For those of you who especially like the first photo, that building is in the historic section of Petersburg, WV. It's immediately behind the retail shop on the main street that is also where people board the train. The train tracks (not displayed in the photo) are immediately to the left of the building in that first photo.

Real Name
Bill Walderman
This is a fantastic series -- the kind of photography I love: ordinary scenes brought to life with a camera. The composition of each image, and in particular, the framing of #2, are outstanding. And the toning is perfect for these types of scene. My favorite is #1.

As it happens, I made a somewhat similar (though not nearly as interesting) series on Sunday, which, emboldened by your efforts, I'll post.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom