Three from today...

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Gordon Large, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Today I drove my wife around both showing her where I spend all my time and also scouting out some new locations. More sight-seeing than shooting, so I just stuck my 200-400VR and TC-17 on my D2x and hand-held it for some shots. That kit is a bear to hand-hold, at least for me. :Depressed But I was amazed how well VR rescued my ___. :smile: Here are a few shots that I like.

Greater Yellow-legs.

This one is kind of weird with a grayish bird flying over gray stones exposed by low water lever - but it highlights the bright yellow eye.

View attachment 16081

Never took a duck portrait before...

View attachment 16082

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2005
  2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent shots Gordon. I think you did well in every area on these. Sharp, well exposed, nice compositions, and processed just right. Looks like a good combo you have there, and hand holding does not appear to be a problem. I'm starting to get a lust for the 200-400VR. Now, if I could just find a few extra $$. :rolleyes:

3. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Frank. Sorry to hear about the 200-400VR. You know how this works. Once you've got the lust, it's only a matter of time! :biggrin:

Gordon

4. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Excelent shots Gordon. Looks like that combo is working well for you.

5. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Harry. I'm very pleased with the lens, with or without TCs. I was really amazed how well VR worked even with the TC-17 on it. I think I'm reasonably strong but I could feel and see the lens shaking, but these and most of the other shots I took (same birds, which is why I didn't post them) were tack sharp. But I do miss my old 500 at times. When Nikon comes out with a 500/4VR, I'll be first in line.

Gordon

6. Excelent shots that is a potent combo. I think the bird in number 2 is a Great Blue Heron.

Rich

7. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Excellent shots, Gordon! I sure wish you folks would quit posting such great shots taken with the 200-400! That's the number one lens on my lust list and the lust keeps growing when I see shots like these! Great job!

8. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Rich. It is a GBH - I just forgot to ID it.

Gordon

9. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Don. Sorry about stirring up your lusting emotions. Well, not very sorry. :biggrin: Consider that I hand held that monster and still got that sharpness. Amazing.

Gordon

10. Trish5

Trish5

Mar 31, 2005
    Sweet captures..the heron is #1 !

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hi Gordon...
    Those are great shots.
    Wonder what kind of duck that is. Think I shot one like that this past weekend. Have no clue though what its ID is.

12. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Trish. My favorite is the Greater Yellow-legs only because we don't see very many of them on PA lakes.

Gordon

13. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Gale. This duck is a female Mallard which was swimming along with about 5-6 Mallards. I'm not sure I could tell a female Mallard from a female Black Duck, buy I IDed this one by the company she was keeping. I had a couple of chances for similar close-in portraits of the males, but they look too darn scruffy at this time of year.

Gordon

14. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Awww yes Gordon,

That is Trixies sister for sure :>)))))))

You know my duck has a name.

Trixie..

Matt told me her name :>)

15. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Nice ones Gordon
    every time (which is quite often here) I see great shots, I say "I want that lens!", but I'm holding out for my 500!! :wink:

16. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Thanks Ben. I sold a 500 to buy the 200-400, and for me it was a good decision. My problem is going to come when Nikon comes out with a 500/4VR. That would be a real winner!

Gordon