Three Humpbacks

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Baywing, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    After ganging up on our boat, 3 of the 5 perps headed off to see what other trouble they could get into......
    50348106.HeadedOff_3744.
    The farthest out has propeller scars, a series of vertical lines on it's side just behind the dorsal fin. The closest one is very much bigger than the other two, and is likely an adult, as opposed to the rest of the juveniles in the area.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Bay,

You have been getting some outstanding shots here recently. I assume that you were on the lower level again for these? My only complaint is that the posted image should be about twice as big. :wink:

3. one of the most fascinating creatures on the planet. Neat shots, and thanks for posting them.

4. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    A lovely image Bay, I'm not sure I would be able to photograph these beautiful creatures. I'd be in awe of their size and grace; likely to just stand there like a flytrap with my mouth open, jaw dangling. :eek:

5. Huge creatures, good capture.

6. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Thanks, Frank, yes, I was down near the water, it depends on the boat and the skipper. With this boat and crew, the lower deck in the stern works the best as he tends to overshoot the kiddies abit. The other boat company and most of their skippers, the front is better as they usually stay well behind them. Sorry about the size, but I'm still on dial-up and time is a factor. It might be interesting to see if you or Patrick could do a survey in the General Discussion forum as to who has what kind of connection, dial-up, DSL, fiber-cable, etc.

7. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I know what you mean, Rob, it's hard to keep the lower jaw in place! For those who have never seen them up close in person, I compare the experience to visiting the Grand Canyon. No matter how good the photo, you just don't have any concept of the size, magnitude and grandeur unless you have been there in person. I do have a personal bias, I love these guys, so yes, I am prejudiced, but most I talk to on the boats seem to have the same opinion after the experience.
    Thanks for the compliments.

8. Nice shots, as usual. I love whales, and you always show us wonderful photos of these beautiful creatures. Thanks a lot.

9. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Thanks for the kind words, Dave and Gordon! the photos seem to come easier when they are taken with a passion. For every good photo I take, there is at least one image burned into my brain that never got captured. I don't lament the missed shots, I appreciate the experience and the ones I do get.

10. Nice shot Bay.
    I resently located to CT from CA. If you don't mind me asking where did you go from?
    BTW. I got SBC 2wire DSL it is faster then the cable I had in CA, comes with a router and firewall so Laptop and wireless is not an issue, runs over nomal phone lines with the use of a filter. Intro price is 14.95/mo. I do a lot of home office work so connection speed is a must, it has not let me down yet. It is available in Beacon Fall so most likely available where you are. And NO I do not work for SBC. If you want a link message me and I'll foward you one.

Rich

11. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Thanks Rich,
    Welcome to CT, if you are the one who brought all this rain, enough already!! :smile:
    I usually go out of Plymouth, MA. It's an easy 2.5 hour ride and the boat fees are the lowest of any in the area. (P-Town boats are cheaper, but you have to drive all the way out to the end of the Cape to get there.) This shot was taken on a trip out of Gloucester. More expensive, tougher drive (Boston 128 traffic) but they got to where the humpbacks were that day. The humpbacks were right outside Plymouth harbor a few weeks ago, but were slowly moving North, following their food. By Wed of last week, I figured that bunch had joined up with the 5-6 already off Gloucester, so I went there and found about 12 of them. I will go out of Newburyport, MA also, if that's where the whales are. This time of year, many companies are closing for the season, but Plymouth and Gloucester have said they intend to keep running until the end of the month. Not sure what is happening lately, with the weather, no one's been out in a week. Went thru this last year and when the weather finally cleared and the seas calmed, the adults moved back in close to shore. The Halloween day trip (last one of the year) last year was one of the best, about 12 adult Mns (humpbacks) and very calm waters.
    Interested?

12. Sounds great Bay but I am traveling most of the rest of the month so it will have to be next season :frown:
    I have never seen a whale close and it is definately on my short list. How close do they let the boats get?

Rich

13. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Most of the better boat companies follow the guidelines, which state no closer than 100' to a humpback. Mind you, if the humpback decides to come closer to the boat, the guidelines are clear, you can't move the boat until they are at least 100' away again! This is a good thing, as you are trapped with one or more close by, though it can make a trip run late! There have been several instances where the boat was "held hostage" by a group of humpbacks that gathered around the boat having their own looks. Gives a double meaning to the term whale watch! The closest I've seen a humpback to a boat is about 10 feet, people I know have said they have seen them rub their body on the boat to try to dislodge some barnacles, it really depends on them and what mood they are in. If they are full (which is rare, they eat 1M calories a day, equal to us eating 1000 Big Macs), they can get curious and then the fun begins.
    The guidelines in the NE are some of the most generous, Hawaii is far more restrictive. The Gov't is trying to clamp down, but the real problem isn't the whale watch boats, it's the commercial fishing boats, large ships (container and tanker) and the worst offenders, recreational boaters.
    Bottom line, it is up to them how close the interaction is. There are certain individuals that have reputations for "showing off" for the boats and others who are well known for not wanting anything to do with boats.