Three lenses and three only (!)

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Pa, May 20, 2005.

1. I have a D70 with the "kit" 18-70 zoom. I'm getting a 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6D ED. I want one more - what should it be?

The objective is to cover low-light and indoor situations, museums, people etc. It needs to cost no more than the 70-300.

I'm considering the 50mm f/1.4D, or 50mm f/1.8D.

I'm just an amateur, not a pro. My wife and I do a lot of travel, I take landscape/animal/flower pictures, and my wife drags me to museums quite a bit.

Comments? Suggestions? Anything else I should consider?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

2. Hi Pa,

I'd say the 50 f/1.4 or the 35 f/2 depending on which focal length you prefer. Of potential interest is the new Sigma 39 f/1.4 (not yet available), which may cost somewhere around $450, so a bit more expensive that these 2, which are around $260 both (with $40 rebate on the 35)

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Are you considering the 50mm because of it's aperture or focal length. Take a look at the usage of your 18-70. What is the focal length you use most often? Then get a faster lens at that focal length.

That said, I second Philippe's recommendation of the 35mm f/2 - it's the smallest, sharpest, best contrast/color, lens that I own. The upcoming Sigma 30 does look promising, but it will need to deliver a lot more than one stop to beat the 35.

4. I was considering the 50mm based on aperture. I want to be able to take pictures in low light w/o flash. Museums don't allow it!

Do you have any pictures posted anywhere using the 35 f/2 ?

5. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    Consider the 60/2.8

Except for the speed in low light, all your remaining interests would be very well served by the 60/2.8 micro. It does a marvellous job on flowers and portraits and is one of the sharpest in the NIkkor range. I just love muddying the water, but that's what LL is all about.

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    :D As a matter of fact I do.

These are from the Getty Museum, and these are from elsewhere.

7. Thanks, those are quite impressive, particularly those from the Getty Museum. And those from elsewhere may also be very good, but I'm not into
    avant garde photography.

Which camera may I ask?[/i]

8. xaviermacau

xaviermacau

May 9, 2005
    Macau
    A transient care for your LL and pocket would be to shoot a higher ISO in your case, say ISO800; D70s was supposed to be better than D100 on noise issue; why don't your go out and shoot for a while to make sure you can do neat and beautiful pics with the 18-70 that is said to be a good lens? May be you can keep your money for later investment, for faster lens.

9. Good point. I have tried this and been dissapointed, but it may not be entirely the fault of the hardware.

10. GeneR

GeneR Guest

You mentioned indoor shots of people, among other things. I was loaned an 85mm f/1.8 for several months and really liked it as a portrait lens to the point that I almost always used it rather than my 50mm. I would buy one, but I think I'll save up for the 85mm f/1.4 instead. I had a 50mm f/1.8 and now have a 50mm f/1.4, and they are both very good lenses. It is impossible to beat the 50mm f/1.8 for the money, although the 1.4 gives you nearly a full stop more light. You really can't go wrong with any of these lenses, it is just a matter of figuring out what focal lenth will serve you best and how much you want to spend.

Good luck,

Gene

11. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    D100

Actually avant garde photography is all I do. Well, I call it that to cover for the fact that I don't really know what I'm doing. ;)

I also agree with Gene, the 85 f/1.8 is a very nice lens, but the angle of view is rather narrow, and you may find yourself backing up a lot. I often back into people when I use it.

12. Lens Lust satisfied.

Well, thanks to a couple of forum members, my LL is temporarily (permanently?) satiated. Both 70-300 and 50 f/1.8 should arrive before the end of the week (thanks guys).

Add that to my 18-70 "kit" lens, and what more could an amateur need (or want)?

I have my three lenses!

13. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Re: Lens Lust satisfied.

Heh heh heh... :twisted:

14. Re: Lens Lust satisfied.

Congratulations, Pa. I think you've made some excellent choices, and now you can concentrate on photography instead of gear... for a while :wink:.

Unfortunately, Lens Lust Disease is like Herpes... it can go into remission, but it's never cured. The best way to avoid another flare-up is to avoid this forum like the plague. It's a Petri Dish for LLD.