Three lighthouses in Maine.

These are, in my opinion, the most popular and photogenic lighthouses in the State of Maine. You will find discrepancies on which one is the most photographed and although the Portland lighthouse is supposed to be the most popular the Nubble Light attracts a large number of photographers.

The first one I am showing to you is neither one of the previously mentioned lighthouses, this is the Pemaquid Lighthouse. When I stood in front of the three of them it was difficult for me to figure out which one was my favorite. When I saw them in photographs that decision became even harder.
This was photographed with my D2H and Tokina 12-24 f4 lens.

DSC_7288_DxOFP_zps2a972897.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This one below is the Portland Lighthouse and as the name implies it is located in Cape Elizabeth and close to the city or Portland. Ideally one should be there very early in the morning or late in the evening to catch the great light. I shot this one in early October at around mid morning.
Photographed with my D2H and Tokina 12-24 f4 lens.

PrintIII_zps7e2ea495.jpg

The last one, the Nubble Light is located in Cape Neddick. The best location to photograph it is from Sophier Park, at the end of the Cape. This lighthouse is not far from York town where you can enjoy excellent restaurants.
This one was photographed with a D70s and 18-70 f4.5-5.6 lens.

DSC_3166-better_zps59d04b63.jpg

All these shots came from using the cameras on a Gitzo tripod with Linhof ballhead. For the color photographs I used Topaz Adjust 5 but cut down the effect during editing to make it look more natural. The black and white photograph was edited with Topaz B&W Effects 2 applying a duo-tone to make the file warmer.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

West coast of FL (formerly Westchester County, NY)
Excellent photos. I have visited and shot Maine lighthouses many times and while I concur that these are the "Big 3", there are many, many lighthouses that are photogenic along the Maine coast and just across into New Brunswick. Quoddy light (both of them - one in Maine and one in Canada) and Bass Light come to mind. The Maine shoreline is a fantastic place to shoot lighthouses.

Just took another look at your Portland Light shot and my eye seems to be drawn to the rather ugly microwave tower on the left. Have you considered cropping the shot so that the left side is just a tad to the left of the white triangle roof and reducing the sky as necessary to get the proper proportions? The entire left side of the image doesn't really add anything to my eye and the tower is a a big minus, as is the half chopped building to the left of the tower.

I think the lighthouse with the boats to the right and the curl of the inlet is the picture. Left side adds nothing.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Excellent images, William! Really well done!

The Portland Lighthouse is my fav of these three! I agree with Rick that a tigher crop would emphasize the lighthouse, shoreline curve and the repeating 3 white triangles (2 boats and 1 bldg) even more.

You are right Rick and Karen. How in the world I missed cropping the shot is beyond me. I am in total agreement that the shot would have been better that way.
Rick I have a shot of Bass Light, I am not familiar with the other one you mentioned and I agree, if maritime photography is in anyone list the Maine coast is the place to be.
Thank you all for your kind comments, especially you Lyndee, our nice moderator.
I want to come back to Maine and I want to come back to Grand Teton National Park and believe me, it is a tough decision.

William.

"I want to come back to Maine and I want to come back to Grand Teton National Park and believe me, it is a tough decision"

As I said, I adore shooting in Maine (lots to shoot in addition to lighthouses - think moose), but if I were choosing between Maine and the Tetons, it wouldn't be close. I consider the Tetons to be one of the most spectacular places on the planet and I have done a fair amount of worldwide travel. Tetons/Yellowstone are near the top of my list.

Once again I am in full agreement, Grand Teton is just spectacular.
About 4 years ago I was there in mid October. I was there with some friends and they woke me up at 5:30 AM local time to shoot at first light. It was my first visit and I was not prepared for the near freezing temperatures. It was cold!
That morning I was shooting the sunrise but I almost freeze to death. On our way back to the campground we found some beautiful animals that we photographed and late that evening I shot a sunset at Jenny Lake.
Grand Teton and Yellowstone have to be among the most photogenic parks in the USA.

William.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom