Three Months on the White Side

Real Name
Ken St John
Generally speaking, I am quite happy with the performance I am seeing with my new Canon 6D Mk II, and several new, and used, Canon lenses. I've seen a lot of pluses with just a couple of minuses. However, as I have said before, the actual IMAGE QUALITY is no better, nor worse, than my former Nikon D750 and various Nikkor lenses!! Both systems are very competitive when it comes to the images they produce!!

I will say this .. the switch IS having the desired effect. I am much more likely to grab my camera and try something out than I was before. It's been fun to learn a new system, even though the end results are pretty similar.

Some of the things that are on the plus side --

* The touchscreen on the back is terrific!! For example, when I had the camera on a tripod, I've learned to engage Live View, tap to select a focusing spot, and then tap again to take a pic (with a 2 second delay to reduce camera shake). Almost magical!! Adjusting camera settings are also a breeze.

* The easy wifi/BT setup and iPhone app is so easy and fast to transfer images; thus it makes it easy for me to transfer images to my wife for her social media "needs".

* I have access now to Canon Professional Services including some nifty invites to events. (After more than 6 months of waiting, NPS never did answer my application.) For example, Canon was a sponsor for a recent Hot Air Balloon event in New Mexico. They sent me an email inviting me to come to their tent to try out lenses, get a quick sensor clean, etc., all at no cost. I wasn't able to go ... but it would have been cool!!

On the minus side --

* I'm not a big fan of the way they attach the battery grip. The grip feels good and it's well balanced with the camera. However, unlike Nikon that just uses some electrical contacts, Canon has you remove the in-camera battery, remove the little door that covers the battery, then insert the grip into the place where the battery goes plus attaching it to the bottom of the camera. It functions OK, but I'm scared to death that I will break or loose the little battery door or the attachment device!!

* The VR on the 70-200 is rather noisy (in fairness, it was a "used" lens) but seems to function perfectly.

My setup at work ...

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Gives me this ...

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

All in all, I am happy with the change and I'm impressed with the technical and optical quality of the camera and the lenses. On a recent visit to a large garden, I brought along a Canon 17-40mm zoom and I liked the coverage very much!! It'll be on there a lot in the coming weeks as my wife always wants me to get photos at parties using my "good camera" (even though an iPhone could probably do as well .... ) ;)

Cheers!!

Ken

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Thanks for the update!

I think this proves...It AIN'T the gear/brand that makes a difference....it IS the photographer using the gear!

Some of the things that are on the plus side --

* The touchscreen on the back is terrific!! For example, when I had the camera on a tripod, I've learned to engage Live View, tap to select a focusing spot, and then tap again to take a pic (with a 2 second delay to reduce camera shake). Almost magical!! Adjusting camera settings are also a breeze.
I've been enjoying that feature on my Nikon D5500. I wish all cameras had it.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom