Three Open Cylinders

These open cylinders actually have a function beyond being enjoyable photography subjects: They are food rings. They help shape food when presenting it in the form of a cylinder standing upright on a plate.

Setups
Explained in my next post

Photo #1
Mike 2021-09-16--0002-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Photo #2
Mike 2021-09-16--0004-S.jpg

Photo #3
Mike 2021-09-16--0008-S.jpg

Photo #4
Mike 2021-09-16--0005-S.jpg

Photo #5
Mike 2021-09-16--0009-S.jpg

Last edited:
Setup of Photo #1
The tabletop and background are separate sheets of the same grey, semi-glossy presentation board. Two small continuous-light lamps were in the left front and right front areas. 30 focus-bracketed shots were stacked in Helicon Focus at its default settings.

Setup of Photo #2
The tabletop and background are a single sheet of grey, semi-glossy presentation board. Two small continuous-light lamps in the left front and right front areas were pointed 180 degrees away from the subjects toward a black wall. 15 focus-bracketed shots were stacked in Helicon Focus at its default settings.

Setup of Photo #3
The tabletop is grey, semi-glossy presentation board. Two small continuous-light lamps on the left and right were shining directly into the ends of the subjects. Nine focus-bracketed shots were stacked in Helicon Focus at its default settings.

Setup of Photo #4
The tabletop and background are separate sheets of the same grey, semi-glossy presentation board. A small continuous-light lamp with a diffusion sock was above and just a bit forward of the subjects. 23 focus-bracketed shots were stacked in Helicon Focus at its default settings.

Setup of Photo #5
The tabletop and background are separate sheets of the same grey, semi-glossy presentation board. A small continuous-light lamp in the right front area lit the inside of the near cylinder. Another one on the left side brightened that side of the background. 18 focus-bracketed shots were stacked in Helicon Focus at its default settings.

Last edited:

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Mike,
I know you're good. But in this case you're more than excellent.

Kind regards
Klaus

These are excellent.
I find the study fascinating- as the tubes change "color" and texture based on the lighting.
Reminds me of the joy I see in a child when they combine random objects and their imagination. They can play all day!
Congratulations on keeping that part of your brain alive
Keep playing
gary

Thank you to Klaus, Gary, Allan, Bill, Bart, Ron and Louie!

Reminds me of the joy I see in a child when they combine random objects and their imagination. They can play all day!

For anyone that thrives on using the concept, the family of angles, to photograph shiny curved objects as much as I do, I really did feel like a kid in a candy store.

Last edited:
Real Name
Andy
Truly wonderful images. They are another reminder I need to get back to reading that book! (Light: Science & Magic)

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom