Critique Three Portraits of a Bell Pepper

Edward Weston famously made his photo, Bell Pepper #30, in 1930. It was one of 38 similar photos of green bell peppers. I gave up years ago looking for bell peppers in the grocery store that had interesting shapes that were different from other bell peppers. Suddenly, a couple days ago the red bell peppers in my local grocery store were very different and not at all uniform in shape. So, I looked for the one that suited my photographic interest the best that also stood up on its own when placed on a flat surface.

The only two people I mentioned this to both said the bell peppers sold at farmers' markets and grown in residential gardens aren't nearly as uniform in shape as those sold in the large chain grocery stores. I should have made my complaint to them years ago. :eek:

Setup
All three images were made with exactly the same setup. The tabletop and background are separate sheets of the same black velvet. A small continuous-light lamp to the right of the camera was facing a white wall behind the camera.

Focus Stacking
All three images were made using 15 focus-bracketed captures at Nikon step size 3 that were stacked in Helicon Focus at default settings.

Mike 2020-12-10--0001-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Mike 2020-12-10--0003-S.jpg

Mike 2020-12-10--0002-S.jpg

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Wonderful study, Mike! In order of preference (although they are all exceptionally well done!).........#2, #3 and #1.

I agree that they are all excellent. I think I would have looked for an angle that didn't include the stem end...I find that distracting.

BTW I have a book of Edward Weston photographs and the pepper study you mention is included.

Thank you also to Bart, Jim, John, Nick, dossy and Gary!

For Weston, his images of bell peppers were about not just their physical form but also their abstract characteristics. That might explain why none of the images I've seen made by Weston include the stem, though I've only seen a few.

My three images for me are only about the literal form of the pepper as an item of food, which explains why I chose a pepper that prominently displays the stem. It's interesting to me that I infer from the location of the stem, at least with this pepper, that it has a left side, right side, front and rear. I think that's because of the personification I see in the pepper. That's despite that a pepper, of course, has no front, rear or side.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom