Three Rivers Petroglyphs, New Mexico

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by JDar, Apr 2, 2007.

1. JDar

JDar

Jan 28, 2007
    TX/NM
    The Three Rivers Petroglyphs area contains more than 21,000 primitive drawings on rocks within a one mile rocky walk, and there are more drawings for the adventuresome walker off-trail. The Jornada Mogollon Indians inhabited this area north of Tularosa, NM, about 900 to 1400 AD (estimates vary) and no one knows exactly whether the drawings were some kind of library of their existence or grafitti. This is one of my favorite places to take visitors to NM, especially children, and hear their interpretations of the drawings (there may be some aliens depicted but their specific museum is in Roswell :wink: .)

Many of the images depict animals common in the area, faces, hunting implements, etc., and some are ready for a good imagination.

These are Nikon 990 shots from last summer in living color (but mainly shades of gray--it's rocky and in the desert.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    I'll agree with you! Three Rivers is a great place to spend a few days!
    [​IMG]

3. JDar

JDar

Jan 28, 2007
    TX/NM
    Please post some more of your petroglyph photos. I'm eager to go there again, now a little better armed, camera wise.