Three Yellow Flowers.

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by camerapapi, Aug 8, 2008.

1. I was waiting this afternoon for a storm to pass by but it never made it. It has been a little dry on this part of town for this time of summer.
    The light was flat and it was cloudy. This type of subject has a high reflectivity so I shot using matrix metering but under careful observation of the histogram. I had to add 0.7 exposure compensation to capture the highlights.
    The camera used was my ancient D1X in aperture priority set to f11. The lens used was the 70-300 VR AF Nikkor at close to 200mm. Obviously, VR off. I used manual focus.
    The camera and lens were on my Gitzo tripod with Linhof ballhead and electronic cable release. Mirror locked up.
    I had to increase contrast and brightness just a bit while carefully watching the histogram. There was a mild red cast that I controlled using cyan and yellow to my taste.
    Nothing spectacular but I want to share it with all of you.

Threeyellowflowers.gif

William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

2. Very nice indeed....

3. Thank you Peter. My gear pales in comparison to yours. That 14-24 and 24-70 are two superb optics and I am sure they compliment nicely your D3.
    Looking forward to see your work.
    William.

4. Very nice work. Thanks much for your detailed explanation of what was required to make this image. It's very helpful.

5. Thank you Steven. To me, part of the enjoyment of photography is trying to help others. Indeed the camera and lens used are not that important since any camera fitted with a lens that allows to approach the subject this close will do the job. The technical details, especially under certain circumstances, are indeed very useful for the viewer to understand what was done and many times to learn.
    I hope you noticed I used an excellent VR lens. I could have done this without a tripod but a tripod allows the photographer to improve on his composition by slowing him or her down while keeping a very steady platform for the camera. Tripods, in my humble opinion, are a necessity not an accessory.
    Lighting conditions like this require precise WB. My lazy side did not take a WB preset and it was difficult to balance the photograph that ended up with a soft reddish cast. Obviously, the photographer ended up working more during editing.
    Interesting enough, although I have a macro lens most of the time I do "macros" using regular lenses.
    William.

6. pretty shot, william

thanks for sharing

7. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    Very nice camera work - love your processing.

8. Greg: Or you got tired of my 700 pixel images or something funny is happening because I do not hear you talk about the size of the images anymore.
    Perhaps you are taking a tranquilizer before looking to my posts?
    William.