Through A Mirror, Darkly [IR Nude]

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by nfoto, Oct 20, 2005.

1. nfoto

nfoto Guest

The recent rewriting of the Café's rules has lifted the "Nude Curtain" ever so slightly. At least to the point where the following image should be allowable

Through A Mirror, Darkly

I'm pleased with the decision of the Administrators, since I actively dislike censorship. Whether or not you are pleased with my picture is not up to me, I've done my best.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Now that is a cool shot Bjorn. What in the world are the objects on the ground in front of the mirror though? They look like pieces out of the movie 'The Blob'. Scary. :wink:

3. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Pebbles on the shore in infrared rendition. I'm no fan of horror movies :biggrin:

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

6. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    Yet another amazing image Bjørn. You could probably stub your toe, trip the shutter by accident and come up with something better than I've ever done :biggrin: To say the least, I'm happy that you are happy with the decision. It's just awesome having one of the great photographers of our day such as yourself around here.

Cheers!

7. nfoto

nfoto Guest

I do have a special category for this kind of images in my data base, it is called "Random Surprises". By looking into what the camera did capture and try to see the potential of the capture, I've not only kept some of these "surprises", they have actually earned me significant amounts of $$ :biggrin: There is a morale here probably, but I'm not hooked on morality as such.

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    You know what I really like about this picture, is the vantage point. You, the photographer, need to be somewhere, but you are present neither in the image nor the reflection. Nice play on Velásquez.

Ha! good one! :wink:

9. I like the image Bjorn, very creative. I do have a question about your title, is it meant to be a takeoff from the quote in the Bible "through a glass darkly?" Either way wouldn't it increase the interest if the foreground were lighter and the reflected image darkened? Just a thought, you are of course the artist and have displayed what you wanted. I am just sharing my thoughts for whatever they are worth.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2005
  10. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Bible quote? Hardly, I'm a devoted atheist :biggrin: The passage just came surfaced while I worked out the practical details needed for capturing this shot. It was a beautiful and warm late summer day at the beach and my girl friend didn't, on that occasion, mind being instructed as to her movements (now, that doesn't happen too often :smile: ).

As to being there and yet not showing, Nikon provided us with the means of getting this end already in the late 1960's. Works in IR as well.

11. Amazing shot again. I still have to look for IR filter. I still dubbing between a 62mm or 77mm to start with. It would also give my D70 some more work again. I use it to less because of the D2X.

I am also thinking about getting the Tokina 12-24mm F/4 above the Nikkor 12-24mm F/4. Would a IR filter on a 12-24mm F/4 work good?

Everytime i see shots of some of the people here using IR filters i am getting more interested in it. But everytime i did not ordered the filter so i will go out shopping very soon for the filter if i gathered some information about it.

Thanks again for showing your work again Bjorn. If you have some more IR work to share i am very interested to look at it.

Greetings,
    Vince

12. nfoto

nfoto Guest

I've seen many reports of nasty IR hot-spots with either 12-24 lens, Tokina being the more frequent offender. These things are a bit difficult to predict because the problem is caused by the joint contribution from IR filter, lens/lens settings, and camera. Zoom lenses should not be the first choice for an IR lens, they can give tremendous issues with flare and ghosting besides the occasional, yet dreadul centre hot-spot.

If you plan on using a D70 I'd suggest a darker B+W O-93 (close to Wratten 87C) or Tiffen 87 filter to give a cleaner IR response and less problems with the red channel blowing out.

13. Ok i will look if i can find a store in The Netherlands that sell these filters. About the part of the 12-24mm lens i could better use my 24mm F/2.8 fixed prime. Then i could use 52mm IR filter for 24mm F/2.8 and 50mm F/1.4 lenses. Are these good lenses to try out with IR photography on the D70?

I found the B+W 0-93 filter for 95 euro (120 us dollars) for the 52mm.

Thanks for the information Bjorn.

Greetings,
    Vince

14. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hi Vince,

I bought a 77mm Harrison & Harrison* 89B filter and took the following photos with that filter on a 12-24DX lens at 12mm. The photos, taken almost a year ago, but were just converted from NEFs with ACR 3.3. The camera was set to auto WB, iso 200, half a second, and f/7.1. Then, in Photoshop, resized to 960X638 pixels, and given my standard web sharpening:

[​IMG]
    Southside bridge, facing West showing the sunset. Taken using a Harrison & Harrison 89B filter, on a 12-24DX Nikkor lens. I don't know if it a hot spot or regular flare, but there is some blue looking light splashed across the middle left part of this picure, but you're looking right into the heart of the sun. What do you expect? The streak in the sky is a contrail.

[​IMG]
    Same thing, but looking Northeast into central Phoenix. No sun, but look. There's the moon.

* [size=-2]Harrison & Harrison is possibly the last company on the Earth not to have a website.[/size]

15. Hi Chris,

I love the first photo over the second one. Very interesting work. I think i start with a 52mm IR B+W filter and then later on look for the 62mm and 77mm to go on my other lenses. First i wanna know if i can get IR to be useable for me.

I love the photo's and all the effects are getting with the IR filters.

Thanks alot for sharing these photo's.

Greetings,
    Vince