Thumbnail Cache - HUGE

Hi all,

I am currently running a virus scan on my C: drive and I noticed that it's spending a lot of time in a directory in my C: drive... User settings\application data\Nikon\Capture NX\Thumbnail Cache

I thought this was odd since in my CNX2 settings I have set up a different dedicated drive for cache. I took a peek and the thumbnail cache in C: is HUGE!! So my question is this - is it normal for CNX2 to set up a thumbnail cache in the C: drive? If so, can I safely delete these thumbnails (doubt it). Can I redirect CNX2 to set this cache somewhere other then C: ?

Thanks all for any advice and apologies if this has been asked before.

In CNX2, go to Edit >> Preferences >> Cache Settings. Use that dialog window to locate your cache anywhere that you want to.

The first part of my CNX2 workflow (at least when I remember) is to go into that dialog window and clear the cache(s). Sometimes I have to click the button twice to completely clear the browser cache.

CNX2's ability to create huge caches has been discussed often here and has never been fully explained why it does so. As an example, my browser cache is often 400-700 MB despite that I never, ever use the browser.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi, Thanks for the responses, I don't think I was clear as to my question so I'll rephrase it. First of all, this is not a virus related concern, I just noticed the issue during a routine virus scan.

My question is simply this - in addition to the cache which can be set up in NX2 preferences, why does the application also create a SECOND cache in the following location on my C: Drive - User settings\application data\Nikon\Capture NX\Thumbnail Cache? Can this secondary cache be cleared safely?

thanks.

Well I'd have to say YES, it's safe, as I often go in and manually delete the contents of that Dir when it gets large or every few months (when I remember :smile:)...
As mentioned, it will make reading of photos in the NX2 browser a little slower as NX2 will have to re-make the thumbnail cache again for that Dir...

Considering that the CNX2 Preferences dialog menu provides a button that allows you to clear the cache, it's logical to think that doing it that way or manually doing it should be safe. It might be interesting to use CNX2's button to clear it and then check the folder to get a better idea of what is and is not going on "under the hood."

Considering that the CNX2 Preferences dialog menu provides a button that allows you to clear the cache, it's logical to think that doing it that way or manually doing it should be safe. It might be interesting to use CNX2's button to clear it and then check the folder to get a better idea of what is and is not going on "under the hood."
I just did it that way, and it deleted about 98% of what was in the cache Dir.
I should have tried pushing the "clear cache button" again to see if it emptied it, but as I was already in the Dir seeing what was left, I just manually cleared it while I was in there...

I have both of mine on drives other than the C drive so that worries over Cache Size are not an issue.

The Editing Cache is simple - direct it to a drive with space available for Scratch discs etc.

The Browsing Cache is not so straight forward. Someone proposed a method a while ago on this forum which involves Windows "Mount a Drive" procedure. This allows any drive or partition (other than C drive) to be designated to be the virtual folder (my terminology) for the Thumbnail Cache. I have been using this for over a year and it leaves my C drive free from the clutter associated with the Thumbnail Cache. I dislike having anything writing to my C drive. Wherever it is possible to divert from the C drive, I will do it.

DG

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Daveg for your considerate reply. I understand the use of the virtual system cache folder, i might give that try, although i was hoping for a solution that was application specific.

Last edited by a moderator:
I, at the suggestion of someone here, made a little batch file that clears the cache. A couple of revisions ago, the cache had some issues. Anyway, here it is:

del /f /q c:\Users\Todd\AppData\Local\Nikon\Captur~1\ThumbnailCache\*.*

Obviously, you may have to fix the directory tree, but you get the idea.

The /q is for quiet, in other words, it won't ask you to confirm and /f force deletes read-only files.

Use Notepad and put that above line, with the correct directory, in a document. Save the file as ClearNXCache.bat (name is your discretion, but .bat must be there) and then you can create a link to the file and put it in your Start Menu.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom