Thumbs Up or Down?

Hi Guys,

Ok, I just finished this collage for a customer. I am a little critical of it. I do so many of them, that after a while they all look the same. What do you think?

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

To be honest, technically it's well done, just think the mouthguard lets it down
Maybe that is what it is. I took over 50 images for this one. She either had on a mouthguard, helmet with cage, or my personal pet peave....(face guard). she never stopped playing with it. Thanks for the honesty.

I've seen more than one comment about how mouthpieces and faceguards distract and take away from images of female athletes.

I suppose...for some.

However, I respectfully disagree. In my very humble and biased opinion (2 daughters), those accouterments are part of the game. It makes the image to me. It's the milieu. It shows what she is about. I like it.

This is not croquet. She is a softball player and a competitor. She is headstrong and plans to win.

Girls today are different. When I was a kid, there was a girls basketball team, tennis, and...???...maybe volleyball? Been too long, can't remember. No swim, no track, and we never heard of soccer or lacrosse or field hockey (yes, it was a long time ago!).

Now, girls are on the fields and in the gyms doing everything the guys are doing. They are strong, confident and beautiful. And I think it's wonderful.

I'm done now. :biggrin:

Just my $0.02.

I like the product and I am not turned off by the mouthpiece. If it were me or my daughter, maybe I would have a different opinion, but I don't think it is objectionable.

I'm focused more on the picture to the left, her face seems dark under the helmet, any chance of some local dodge to lighten it up? Aside from that, I like it, not too cluttered, and I like how you put the lower small picture behind her arm.

Frank,

I really like the format and the photos. Your customer should be very proud to have this one. I want to try the overlap and the "in front" composition the way you did it.

I'll bet that the shot with the mouthpiece exposed is the way her parents often see her when she is really concentrating on the game. As you said - all of your shots had either a cage or mouth guard. Let us know what her parents think.

I didn't think a thing of the mouthguard when I first saw it. I like it. My guess is her
parents see her like this all the time on the field. I acutally think it adds personality.

McQ

Just your average, everyday moderator.
Real Name
Glenn
Technically it's fine. I also like the mouthguard. I think it's cool.

A thought I have is that it is very standard in its geometric style. It's fine, and it looks good. It would be acceptable as is.

Another option is to slightly vary the geometry of the different photos, make things line up less, change some shapes and opacity of the borders, etc.

guys .... THANK YOU ... the comments and suggestions are what make the forum relationships so valuable. I dropped the collage of this evening. I delivered it at the ball field ( as usual) to Mom, grandmom, and the player her self. IT WAS A HIT. They all loved it. One of the comments that stick out with me was: "you can tell she was playing and not posing for pictures" The other girls and parents of course all had to see. Then end result...4 more orders. LOL

Gratefully Yours

Great pics Rolly. As a parent, I'm not sure I'd want one with my daughter with the mouthguard? Might substitute for that one. The rest of the collage is great.
Fred

guys .... THANK YOU ... the comments and suggestions are what make the forum relationships so valuable. I dropped the collage of this evening. I delivered it at the ball field ( as usual) to Mom, grandmom, and the player her self. IT WAS A HIT. They all loved it. One of the comments that stick out with me was: "you can tell she was playing and not posing for pictures" The other girls and parents of course all had to see. Then end result...4 more orders. LOL

Gratefully Yours
I guess it was a thumbs up then. Congrats.

Great pics Rolly. As a parent, I'm not sure I'd want one with my daughter with the mouthguard? Might substitute for that one. The rest of the collage is great.
Fred
Here is my question to you fred..."would you tell you daughter to play the game without it so the picture looks better?

McQ

Just your average, everyday moderator.
Real Name
Glenn
Mouthgaurds are a part of life so with that said the pics are ok just to much symmetry for me if you knwo what I mean
Symmetry...that's the word I was looking for with my comment! :smile:

Anyway, the photo was a hit, and that's what you want. Congrats!

Mouthgaurds are a part of life so with that said the pics are ok just to much symmetry for me if you knwo what I mean
Ok, heres another I just finish with less symmetry. By the way guys, I really enjoy the dialogue. Sometimes, I just like you rib you a little. Just for fun.

1. THE UNSYMMETRICAL COLLAGE

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom