1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Thumbs Up or Down?

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by eng34ine, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Hi Guys,

Ok, I just finished this collage for a customer. I am a little critical of it. I do so many of them, that after a while they all look the same. What do you think?

web15.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    To be honest, technically it's well done, just think the mouthguard lets it down

3. Maybe that is what it is. I took over 50 images for this one. She either had on a mouthguard, helmet with cage, or my personal pet peave....(face guard). she never stopped playing with it. Thanks for the honesty.

4. Dennis Carter

Dennis Carter

Jun 29, 2007
    USA
    I've seen more than one comment about how mouthpieces and faceguards distract and take away from images of female athletes.

I suppose...for some.

However, I respectfully disagree. In my very humble and biased opinion (2 daughters), those accouterments are part of the game. It makes the image to me. It's the milieu. It shows what she is about. I like it.

This is not croquet. She is a softball player and a competitor. She is headstrong and plans to win.

Girls today are different. When I was a kid, there was a girls basketball team, tennis, and...???...maybe volleyball? Been too long, can't remember. No swim, no track, and we never heard of soccer or lacrosse or field hockey (yes, it was a long time ago!).

Now, girls are on the fields and in the gyms doing everything the guys are doing. They are strong, confident and beautiful. And I think it's wonderful.

I'm done now. :biggrin:

Just my $0.02.

5. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I like the product and I am not turned off by the mouthpiece. If it were me or my daughter, maybe I would have a different opinion, but I don't think it is objectionable.

6. I'm focused more on the picture to the left, her face seems dark under the helmet, any chance of some local dodge to lighten it up? Aside from that, I like it, not too cluttered, and I like how you put the lower small picture behind her arm.

7. audu67

audu67

Jan 14, 2008
    Decatur, Alabama
    Frank,

I really like the format and the photos. Your customer should be very proud to have this one. I want to try the overlap and the "in front" composition the way you did it.

I'll bet that the shot with the mouthpiece exposed is the way her parents often see her when she is really concentrating on the game. As you said - all of your shots had either a cage or mouth guard. Let us know what her parents think.

8. actually
    the mouthguard doesn't bother me
    adds to the INTENSITY

you did well

9. I agree with Greg---it's just like Michael Jordan's tongue! It's her!

10. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    I didn't think a thing of the mouthguard when I first saw it. I like it. My guess is her
    parents see her like this all the time on the field. I acutally think it adds personality.

11. McQ

McQ Just your average, everyday moderator. Moderator

Technically it's fine. I also like the mouthguard. I think it's cool.

A thought I have is that it is very standard in its geometric style. It's fine, and it looks good. It would be acceptable as is.

Another option is to slightly vary the geometry of the different photos, make things line up less, change some shapes and opacity of the borders, etc.

12. guys .... THANK YOU ... the comments and suggestions are what make the forum relationships so valuable. I dropped the collage of this evening. I delivered it at the ball field ( as usual) to Mom, grandmom, and the player her self. IT WAS A HIT. They all loved it. One of the comments that stick out with me was: "you can tell she was playing and not posing for pictures" The other girls and parents of course all had to see. Then end result...4 more orders. LOL

Gratefully Yours

13. Dennis Carter

Dennis Carter

Jun 29, 2007
    USA
    Thanks for sharing the outcome! Nice to know what mom and grandma like.

Congrats on the sales.

14. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    ahh shucks, happy that it worked out, and, yeah OK, the mouthguard is cool

15. Great pics Rolly. As a parent, I'm not sure I'd want one with my daughter with the mouthguard? Might substitute for that one. The rest of the collage is great.
    Fred

16. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    I guess it was a thumbs up then. Congrats.

17. Here is my question to you fred..."would you tell you daughter to play the game without it so the picture looks better?

18. Mouthgaurds are a part of life so with that said the pics are ok just to much symmetry for me if you knwo what I mean

19. McQ

McQ Just your average, everyday moderator. Moderator

Symmetry...that's the word I was looking for with my comment! :smile:

Anyway, the photo was a hit, and that's what you want. Congrats!

20. Ok, heres another I just finish with less symmetry. By the way guys, I really enjoy the dialogue. Sometimes, I just like you rib you a little. Just for fun.

1. THE UNSYMMETRICAL COLLAGE

web16.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.