Thunderbird Mail help, please...

This is one more chapter in the continuing saga of moving my wife from Windows (Eudora mail) to the iMac. She is now using Thunderbird mail.

This screen shot shows her Address Book:

Screen%20Shot%202014-09-11%20at%202.10.41%20PM.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

In the address book near the top titled "2013-2014_Hike_List" there is an address list "2014 hike list". She would like to move it down into "Mac OS X Address Book". I can't figure out how to do that. Dragging or Copy-Paste doesn't work.

Any ideas?

I'm not a T'bird user, but there may be an export/import command. Maybe.

There is, but it isn't helpful for this task.

I have discovered something important, I think. "Mac OS X Address Book" was not created with Thunderbird, it was imported from another application, maybe Mac Mail; I don't remember right now. So if we try to create a new Mailing List, TBird will offer to put it in "Personal Address Book", "2013-2014_Hike_List", or "Collected Addresses", but not in "Mac OS X Address Book". So there is something special about that address book.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
There is no easy way to do it. I have struggled with this in the past.

You can manually enter all the names into new groups - set aside an hour or two and it isn't hard. The problem only arises when importing from other programs.

This might help. Install Thunderbird on her Windows machine and import from Eudora to Thunderbird.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Importing_from_Eudora_(Thunderbird)

Set TB up the way you want it to work. Once you're satisfied with everything here's the cool part, go into the Thunderbird directory and find the subdirectory that looks similar to this "4m2f5u9g.default". Don't worry about the numbers as they are always different between installations. Make sure you set to "Show Hidden Files" and copy everything in the directory to a thumb drive. Find that similar directory on your Mac or Linux box and open the directory. Erase everything in it. Now copy the contents of the TB directory from the thumb drive into the empty directory on the Mac. Open TB and it will be set up exactly as it was in Windows. Your accounts, directories, settings, and add-ons are all there. Thunderbird is a great e-mail program and makes it easy to load everything between different operating systems. I haven't used Eudora in years. I loved that program.

Latest threads

Top Bottom