Thunderstorm in Germany

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Mattes, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Hi.

I saw a thunderstorm yesterday afternoon. The temperature dropped from about 27 to 13 degrees centigrade within 20 minutes.

Due to the daylight (and the lack of a ND-filter) I needed f/22 and ISO-setting Low -1 on my D300, giving me 1/3 to 1/4 of a second aperture time.

I hope you like the results.

C&C is always welcome.

Regards,

Mattes

100753971.gif

View attachment 227564

Heavy rain:
    View attachment 227565

2. nice pictures
    that first one is very dramatic
    very creative with the settings on the camera

thanks for sharing these with us

3. These are great shots. I read that they had about 17cm per square meter of rain in Dortmund.

4. That first shot is really something else!

5. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Nice pics

I like the first shot the best. Have you considered lightening the area around where the two bolts contacts the ground, this might give it a more eerie effect, but JMO they are excellent!!!

6. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Images #1 and #2, are awesome. Great captures your timing was outstanding.

7. Nice shots. It has really been some crazy weather lately.

8. That fist one is amazing --wish we had more of that around here!

9. Thanks everybody for your kind words.

I just ordered a grey filter (ND4) - I hope I can provide some better material in the future.

Regards,

Mattes

10. Great timing and capture, SPECTACULAR!!!!!!

11. The 1st is stunning! Maybe you could even lighten and boost saturation on the ground to make it even more eye-popping.

12. jadlh

jadlh

Mar 6, 2008
    USA, Michigan
    Very nice, you were pointing your camera at the right time. Amazingly, the lightning here in the U.S looks very much like the lightning in Germany :>)

13. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    love #1 Mattes

I need to get a lightning shot, such as this

well done !

14. Spectacular, particularly the first one. Never managed to capture lightnings, well, maybe I should try more often :smile:

Cheers

15. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    # 1 is fantastic !!!

16. Sometimes when reading the news, it seems like Europe and U.S. would be on different planets. It's things like this that remind they both really are on the same rock. :eek::biggrin:

17. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Sometimes

From California:

Sometimes I think "Mother Earth" gets the infamous "mailbox full" greeting when trying to send us a wake up call. Where else in the Universe does the population have to watch "reality tv" to believe they are experiencing it???...hummm:rolleyes::smile::smile::smile:

18. Impressive! Just out of curiosity (as I played with the idea to shoot thunderstorms as well some time ago): Did you contiously triggered the shutter in the hope to get some lightning in the end or what else was your approach?
    I guess the keeper rate would be rather low that way. (But also cannot think of any better way to do it)

19. Great daytime lightning shots! That first bolt has a nice symmetry. Good idea about Low -1, I needed some slower shutter speeds the other day (moving water), and completely forgot about that setting.

20. Excellent series of shots, brave too! Too close for comfort :D

Gary.