Thunderstorm Wall Clouds

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by jfenton, Jun 8, 2005.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Jeannie (my wife) and I had gone out to the observation tower at Plum Island to shoot eye level with the big birds this evening. A thunder storm was skirting to the north, when all of a sudden I saw this very strange tumbling going on along the periphery of the main storm directly adjacent to us...and then this cloud literally dropped down as a solid wall from the main storm that hung 1/3 of the way to the ground. it was rotating fairly rapidly and I was amazed that a tornado didn't grow out of this. The front edge was moving so fast that by the time we scrambled down from the tower it had slid east of us. Immediately after I shot this, the entire immediate area was pounded with severe downdrafts that lifted dirt, stones and everything as we scrambled for the car. Lots of branches down, signs blown over, etc.

I took this quickly so don't be too harsh!

Beautiful.......awesome power.......but very scary and not fun! We're not used to this here in New England :)

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Jim this red X is persistant. Traced it back, thnk I found the image.

Beautiful shot.

3. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    WHAT IS UP WITH PBASE??????

I can't post anything anywhere without getting a red X????

4. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Jim...those would be good submissions for the contest! We get storms like these here is the south quite frequently in the summer and yes....they are very strong! Your images are beautiful.

5. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Contest?

Hmmmm...

I'll have to check it out.

Thanks Leigh!

6. JackG

JackG

May 31, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Great shots Jim!

Our love for our craft can get us in trouble before we realize it.

Be safe!

Jack

7. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Nice shots, Jim! I've seen clouds like that (and worse) way down here in the deep south many times, but never thought to take the picture (guess I was usually heading for cover).