Thx 4 nothing HP - B9180 driver incompatible with Win 7 RC!

UGH!

I've been waiting months for HP to release this stupid driver! I just checked and WOOHOO it was there! Downloaded and started the install - "Incompatible OS - you are using build number 7100. 7600 or greater is required..."

OMG! I'm not going to be able to use this blankety blank printer until I buy the retail version! That was supposed to be a few more months down the road!

The Epson 3880 is looking better every day...

I was shipped two and between them there where more than 4 different hardware problems or manufacturing defects. additionally, both left nasty tracking marks in glossy prints which I discovered is a very common issue. tech support was terrible, run by people who have no idea how a printer works or what parts are in it. and the printer driver is the single most frustrating piece of software I have ever experienced I have sure used some bad ones. The driver makes it almost impossible to set up a smooth work flow using custom profiles or 3rd party papers and is full of double profiling traps. total nightmare product.

> I was shipped two and between them there where more than 4 different hardware problems or manufacturing defects.

How unlucky indeed! But how this apply to printers that do work, and do not have those defects?

> additionally, both left nasty tracking marks in glossy prints which I discovered is a very common issue.

I saw that, if paper thickness is set incorrect or third-party paper used with the wrong settings.

> tech support was terrible, run by people who have no idea how a printer works or what parts are in it.

That is very common these days, look at auto repair shops for example.

> the printer driver is the single most frustrating piece of software I have ever experienced

I have no problems with their driver, but the printer is controlled via a Mac.

you can choose to accept a miserable product if you like.
after reading many reviews later on, I discovered that some of the problems I encountered where not very common, and there where some other ones that where very common but I did not encounter. reports on my current printer are very different and no calls to tech support are needed at all. somehow, after reading more in depth and also running a better printer, I have decided that it wasn't so much bad luck, but bad product. problems I had and other reported included the famous tracking marks, sideways feeding of 5x7, malfunction of the back hatch sensor, coarse spray pattern on all jets, overflow of the waste ink area, and jammed carriage after some heavy use.

the tracking mark problem showed up with HP papers with the correct media setting as well as when using thinner 3rd party papers. additionally, they offer no easy way to set thickness independently. I looked around and asked around and could not find anyone who would tell me with a straight face that their 9180 did not leave marks on gloss prints. the people who said it didn't admitted that they have very faint marks.

most auto repair shops know how a car works and how to fix it. how decent a business they run is a different issue all together.

try making your own targets, profiles, and printing with them, then tell me how well that print driver is working for you.

after all this nonsense, I chose to reject the product and get my money back.

UGH!

I've been waiting months for HP to release this stupid driver! I just checked and WOOHOO it was there! Downloaded and started the install - "Incompatible OS - you are using build number 7100. 7600 or greater is required..."

Try finding/downloading the Vista drivers then install using the compatibility mode switched to "vista" (ie: right click on the driver setup program and change compatibility to Vista).

You can also try to download other drivers from MS using Internet Explorer here.

This shouldn't be a big compatibility problem. I've run older drivers on a couple of different printers without any problems (admittedly not the one you're using though).

> you can choose to accept a miserable product if you like.

None of my designers are complaining, we do not consider the printer to be miserable, This printer is also in use with my friends in SF, and they have no complaints as well. We do custom profiling, of course, and we do not experience tracking marks. No issues with the driver from the very beginning, too.

The printer needs routine maintenance, cleaning, it may have low tolerance to wrong choice of thickness, developing mechanical problems from the very first user error.

I'm afraid I disagree with your advice to get rid of that printer "regardless" and your description of the printer as "miserable product".

UGH!

You are using a version of the OS which is not released, and you complain about HP, and then the thread turns into a rant about HP and the B9180.

I guess, like Iliah, that I must just be one lucky person, along with the other 3 friends I have who have this printer. In fact, HP support is SO bad that when my printer broke, well after the warranty mind you, the oh-so-unhelpful Support person mentioned that I could get a new printer for the grand total of $250, and that included a new set of ink. Yup, I can sure see how this makes:

A. HP support horrible
B. The B9180 "bad"

I guess, like Iliah, that I must just be one lucky person, along with the other 3 friends I have who have this printer. In fact, HP support is SO bad that when my printer broke, well after the warranty mind you, the oh-so-unhelpful Support person mentioned that I could get a new printer for the grand total of $250, and that included a new set of ink.
Me too.........and considering the cost of a full set of new inks......I basically got "some ink with a free printer" .... and next day delivery to boot! :smile:

I have had this printer for about two years plus and have had no problems with it. I'm using it on an iMac 24", with Snow Leopard OS.

Well, ok then. Didn't expect this to turn ugly ;-)

I've since installed build 7600 64 bit and installed the new driver. Now the printer is malfunctioning.

I spent a good deal of time this evening chatting with HP support and as I recall, their service leaves MUCH to be desired. Truthfully, it's the consistency f their service that's a problem. I chatted with two techs at two differet times. The first was quite helpful and seemed to want to problem solve. The second (after giving him the ID from the first chat) gave me a link to a page for finding a sevice center. Office Depot and WalMart were the only two on the list :-/ Telling him these were retail stores and did not offer service, his response was "they can tell you where to get it serviced..." The result of that attempt was as successful as you might imagine - negative.

I used this printer for a while with Vista and never had any issues aside from some wacky color due to an uncalibrated system. The problems started after I realized it was shut down and unplugged (unknown to me). After that, prints were smudging, I got lines and streaks, and it just never really produced consistent results.

Now it won't print (well, it will occasionally print). It'll print a test page (usually) both from the computer and via the printer onboard menu. It won't print at all from any application (though the first time I tried it after installing the driver, it did print an 8.5x11 on plain paper from MS pic viewer). When I try now, the printer will pull paper from the tray, then stop. I get an error message onthe LCD saying I have to reset by unplugging and reattaching the power cord. That's as far as I can get with it now (except the test pages).

I have no idea where to take this thing, and I kept the original box for only a year (it's huge). Plus, frankly, I'm not convinced it needs to go in for repair. Rep number two told me it needed repair for a firmware error. Firmware is user updatable. I have the most current installed (27a). If it's a firmware issue, it should be correctable via a download or something. Not sure now what to do, bit I've got some prints I need to run and a large, heavy, noisy paperweight...

try sending email describing your woes to

hp-sbel_support_en@mail.support.hp.com

put 'c/o ANDY' at the beginning of the title, and include return contact information.
this is a tech support manager of some kind who was the only person I talked to there with half a brain. In my case, he was able to arrange a buyback at my purchase price and a pre-paid shipping label.

Thanks for the contact, Joe. I'll shoot him an email tomorrow. Really, this printer has a pretty solid reputation, price point aside. At the time it was introduced, the closest competitor was a more expensive Epson that had horrific sounding clogging problems (it's slightly bigger brother did, too - 1000 and 2000 series - not until you got into the 3000 and up series did the clogging g issue seem to disappear). Add to that the fact I bought it at CompUSA as they were shutting down. I vowed not to pay more that $300 for it, and I didn't. In fact, I bought out their ink at $17 a cartridge!

If it needs to go in for service, fine. I'm sure it could use a good cleaning, etc. I'm just not convinced that's the problem (firmware error?). I found a listed HP service provider in Charlotte (little over two hours). I'm calling them tomorrow, too, and see what they say. It would be less expensive to drive there and drop it off than to have it shipped. If this service guy at HP can help, even better.

I'm NOT a fan of HP, but from my use and it's reputation, this is a good printer. I think it's biggest problem is lack of use. It's only printed 216 pages in less than two years. I've talked to shooters who print off that much with this printer in a month! We'll
see how it goes tomorrow via email and the place in Charlotte.

Oh, and for the record...
Those of you implying i shouldn't complain about HP not supporting this printer with a driver on a beta OS; you're right. That's not my complaint. I spent lots of time trying to get answers and no one was willing to talk to me or elevate my case to someone who would. Funny, I can call Linksys, Dell, Adobe, Apple, LaCie, Toshiba, Sony, etc and get answers to technical questions. Getting elevated support is as simple as explaining to someone willing to listen who wants to earn their paycheck by helping. HP has consistently been near the bottom of my support "bad" list for a long time. This hasn't helped. Then I get someone who really tried to help my my first tech "Vallen". I had to get off the computer for a half hour or I would have gladly kept working with him all night! I bet he would have worked it through and been able to identify the real issue (firmware or hardware) and I'd either have a workin printer or some confidence that it actually does need to be shipped off for service.

Fingers crossed. Thanks for the suggestions...

Oh, and by the way (Gretchen and/or Bill) - where did you get this printer for around $250?! I'd seriosly consider getting a new one with warranty as opposed to sending this on off for repair. Two of my printheads are showing "fair", and at $75 each, this thing's going to be costing me some money over the coming months...

Oh, and by the way (Gretchen and/or Bill) - where did you get this printer for around $250?! I'd seriosly consider getting a new one with warranty as opposed to sending this on off for repair. Two of my printheads are showing "fair", and at $75 each, this thing's going to be costing me some money over the coming months...
When I called HP support, using the number on the website, the Tech Support guy I spoke with told me about it. And he did the whole transaction while we were on the phone.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom