1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Tiger Lilies - Newborn and Still-in-the-Womb

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Harry Lavo, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Ran across a fabulous cluster of fresh and still-to-be-born tiger lilies the other day. It was late in the day and they had the late afternoon sun casting its gorgeous yellow light. I just had to stop, whip out the trusty D50 and Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro, and shoot (handheld).

Here be the results:

original.
    NIKON D50    ---    300mm    f/13.0    1/320s    ISO 400

original.
    NIKON D50    ---    300mm    f/13.0    1/250s    ISO 400

original.
    NIKON D50    ---    300mm    f/13.0    1/320s    ISO 400

I seem to be on a lily kick this week, but I kinda like the results. Your comments and critique are always welcome.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2008
  2. Nice Harry. Excellent color rendition. That lens is bringing out very good results for you

3. Thanks, CC. Yeah, I consider it a bargain of a macro, with the added plus of being a decent lightweight, long-focal-length walkabout zoom tele. All for $169 which is what I paid Adorama for it.

4. HI Harry

Good exposure control so the orange isn't blown out. I like the first one. The second would have been better (for me) if the dried up fallen petals had been removed. I find the last one a bit busy.

Cheers,

Larry

5. The first one is gorgeous. The last one would have been better with more DOF, my eyes were struggling to find the focus.

Overall a very good job.

6. Great photos. I'm still learning a lot about photography so I have a question about the last one. How do you change your settings so that the background behind the Tiger Lillies appears dark/black? I am shooting with a D60 right now.

7. Thanks, Larry. Getting the exposure under control is quite a feat in strong sunlight....the new DG version of the Sigma lens is a plus factor in that regard (the older version was very prone to flare and blowing out).

I didn't think of altering the plant, since it was in somebodies yard. But you are right, it would look better.

As to the last, I agree it is busy...I kind of think of it as a sunday topping, to be absorbed in its entity rather than piece-by-piece.

At any rate, thanks for your kind comments Craig.

I agree with you...I was surprised to find the DOF inadequate when I got them up on the computer....usually the f13 surfices. And it does detract. You've got to kind of skim over the top tier....the rest snaps in pretty well.

Thanks for looking and for your kind comments.

Well mostly I shifted view to get it. The last is a different cluster than the first two. But if lighting allows, it also helps to increase contrast, which will deepen the background if it is already fairly dark.

Thank yor for looking Amber, and good luck in your explorations. It is a rewarding hobby.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.