Tiger Orchid? and Hybrid Lily

A couple of my favorite flowers from my latest trip to Longwood Gardens:

1/40s f/2.8 at 70.0mm

46034494.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1/100s f/2.8 at 200.0mm

View attachment 11782

Images captured with the 70-200VR lens.

Very beautiful.

Wow wide open , slow shutter.

That is a beautiful orchid. Very small flowers.

Excellent shots Crystal. The 70-200VR really is a phenomenal lens, and you have used it to great effect here. :wink:

Thank you for the feedback Gale, Patrick and Frank. I wasn't able to use the 70-200+500D combination on this last trip to Longwood Gardens, so all of my images are handheld using the 70-200VR only. It was so crowded and zooming was the only way to get candid photos of some of their magnificent flora. The VR paid off on this trip. I hope to test the combo along with the 70-180 one more time next week in Niagara Falls. I understand they have a butterfly conservatory. I am anxious to determine which combination works best with my work flow.

viewfinder said:
Nice softness of the hybrid lily, simply beautiful.

Regards,
Jonathan

Thank you for the feedback Jonathan. Oddly enough, it was the first image captured with the 70-200VR and turned out to be one of my favorites. Longwood Gardens was especially crowded during the holiday weekend. I was pleasantly surprised with the softness of this image. I tend to create sharp, constrasty imagery. This is a totally new direction for me.

greyflash said:
Those tiger lily's are beautiful. Nice color and detail in your images.

Thank you Gordon. I am really enjoying the variety of flora this summer. I will finally get a chance to take a vacation next week. We are planning a trip to Niagara Falls. I plan to spend a few hours in the Butterfly Conservatory. :D

Luv the shots Crystall, beautiful job............not a flower guy but they are beautiful.........really like the first shot, too bad that object was behind it in the top left corner......

looks like your having fun.........

Keith,

Thank you for the feedback. Yes, I agree, those posts and 'do not touch signs' can be so pesky! LOL. I have been concentrating on composition for the past few weeks. There are times when I just want to cross the barrier and rip out anything in my way! :twisted: But, of all the images I shot that day, those two were my favorites.

Gilles,

Thank you for the feedback too! It is extremely strange that of all the images I captured that day, I chose only two for my pbase site. The rest have be archived...BTW, the hybrid lilies were enormous, probably over 2.5 feet tall!

Latest threads

Top Bottom