There is another side of that story.
The Chinese woman involved attempted to sue Varty on trumped-up claims and later went on to sue her (by then) former husband (and partner in the Chinese Tigers project).

The piece in the SA Sun & Globe was published in June 2013 and a lot changed after that piece was published!

This from Bloomberg in Feb 2016
The South China Tiger Is Functionally Extinct. This Banker Has 19 of Them

and:

6 June 2017
The Royal Courts of Justice, London
In divorce proceedings between Li Quan and Stuart Bray, the UK Court of Appeal has rejected allegations made by Ms Quan that the Save China’s Tigers (“SCT”) and Chinese Tigers South African Trust (“CTSAT”) charities had supported her lifestyle. Ms Quan sensationally claimed in the High Court that she and her estranged husband had been using the assets of the charities (which the couple helped found) for non-charitable, personal benefit, including expensive holidays. After a 25-day trial in the High Court, Sir Paul Coleridge found that Ms Quan had fabricated these stories out of revenge. However, Ms Quan was subsequently granted permission to appeal the judgment of Sir Paul Coleridge. In a major set-back for Ms Quan’s attempt to take the assets of the charities for herself, the appeal was unanimously dismissed today by Lady and Lord Justices King, Richards, and Moylan.

-------
I understand that the Laohu Valley Reserve is facing considerable financial problems.
It is no longer open to visitors and they are actively negotiating with the Chinese Government to return their Tigers to China.
Sadly, and to add to their problems, their Tiger Manager was killed by a Tiger last December.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed the story and the pictures.
Tiger Canyon is such a great place to photograph and I very much hope that i shall have an opportunity to go back there before too long.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom