tighter carry-on baggage restrictions, Do you cheat too?

I'm preparing for a flight for an upcoming vacation and my carry-on restrictions
are 1 carry-on bag no bigger than (8" x 16" x 21") and no heavier than 22 lbs.

Well cheeeze... my bag weighs 10 lbs empty and my 400 ais f2.8 weighs 15lbs,

so i'm already overweight and i haven't even added the other lenses and bodies.

So the question is to other travelers...Do you cheat too and cary-on a heavier bag than allowed?

Whats the most weight you ever brought onboard?

Anyone ever have to gate check/ regular check your bag? did you do it. really ???

thanks in advance

Alot will depend on where you are traveling and what airline. I traveled to South Korea with a small dog (preapproved) and a carry on. I went from DC to Altanta to LAX (Los Angeles) then to Seoul. Three different airlines, three different rules.
One tip though. A ladies purse does not count as a carry on....you may need to repack once you get on board but it would be worth it to get a few more lenses in the pack if you are traveling with someone else. Also, there are circumstances that airlines may wave the requirement. You may need to call as see what your options are. They also make you unpack laptops/electronics. I dont know if camera equipment is part of that.
A call to the airlines can't hurt and you may just get the waiver you need. Just be sure to get it for the entire leg of your journey coming and going.

Ladies purses don't count? My wife has a friend with a purse as big as some camera bags....how about a man-purse;)

haha, don't kill the messenger!
I am not sure if there are stipulations on this but my purse is not the size of the kitchen sink so I have never tested it. Man purse are a bad idea for every man. IMHO LOL

I'm preparing for a flight for an upcoming vacation and my carry-on restrictions

So the question is to other travelers...Do you cheat too and cary-on a heavier bag than allowed?

Anyone ever have to gate check/ regular check your bag? did you do it. really ???

thanks in advance
I just did a cross country flight with my D2h, D2X, flash, 18-70, 300 f4 afs, 400f2.8 afs, all batteries and chargers, and a laptop in an expedition 8 bag. No issues and fit all the overhead bins but the puddle jumper from pdx to seatac where it was on the floor under the seat in front (well 1/2 of it was under the seat).

1 bag and 1 personal item is allowed. So take an empty back pack or something similar (with a towel in it maybe) so if there is a problem you can at least move some items to the other bag and not have to worry about the equip getting checked.

cheers wembley

Last edited by a moderator:
here is a snip from thier website...
<quote> CARRY-ON LUGGAGE: CanJet will permit each passenger to carry onboard, (1) standard item of carry-on luggage not exceeding 21 cm x 40 cm x 54 cm (8" x 16" x 21") in size. Maximum weight for carry-on shall not exceed 10kg (22 pounds).

Items to be counted include : Any kind of bag or suitcase, briefcases, laptop computers (bags), diaper bags, camera cases that may contain items such as spare lenses and film in addition to the camera, cartons, boxes and other similar items.

Items not to be counted include: Cameras, coats, diplomatic or consular bags, purses 10" x 12" x 8" or less, receptacles containing human remains, strollers, child restraint systems, containers carrying life-sustaining items, live vital organs, crutches, canes, walkers and other similar items.

</quote>

They are making it harder and harder...

Man's purse eh? gotta think about that one...lol

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
My personal motto is "If I can't carry it on the plane, it doesn't go with me".

I do not check luggage (far too many lost and broken luggage stories), so as a result, I travel very lightly - only a minimum amount of clothing. I went on a three week trip to Egypt and Jordan and everything I took fit into my weekender. Same with visiting the Czech Republic this year. Both times, my bag was weighed at check in and came in at 11 pounds. Weekender went into the overhead bin. The camera equipment?

Ahhh...that went into my "purse" (which doesn't count...:biggrin:).

My travel "purse" is a medium sized duffel pack of sorts that I use as my camera bag. It holds all my camera gear (D300 + 10-20mm, 50mm and 18-200mm + flash), and my essentials (passport, wallet, comb, lipstick, water bottle, magazines, umbrella...etc...). I sling it over my shoulder and it looks just like a purse, albeit a slightly larger one. It also fits securely under the seat of the plane.

Now, I've never flown CanJet, but with every airline that I have flown, I've never had a problem. That all could change, however, as they review their restrictions...

I fly *a lot*, and one of my major peeves is people who bring WAY TOO MUCH stuff, think they're a special case and basically rob other people's room in the overhead bins. I hate stuffing my bag under the seat in front, that's where my feet go.

Check in more stuff. I've travelled all over the planet for a living for ten years and have never ever lost anything. Pack ONE bag, and make it count. I get my laptop and my camera stuff in one bag that fits in the space for one person in the overhead locker, how come so many people "need" two or three?

Cooperate. Flying is stressful enough if even you don't have to resent the guy next to you.

I don't fly often but always my carry-on with photogear was too heavy. Last time when returning from Quito to Madrid I had to put my bag on the scale and it was about 3 kilos over but my brothers bag was about 5 kilos under maximum so that was no problem.

Usually my bag is about 10-12 kilos depending on the gear I take. Problem is that most bags are already 2+ kilo.

The carry on situation here in the states has become a joke right now. With the airlines charging for any checked bags, everyone is trying to carry on all of their bags. It has gotten to the point where someone who follows the rules might have to put their one carry on under the seat in front of them because of all the inconsiderate people not willing to pay the $25 to check their bag.

Bob

Hey, while we're on the topic: if you have assigned seat 25F, your overhead bin is NOT the one above seat 6C, OK? :)

I fly constantly and I've never seen a carry on bag weighed. If it fits through the x-ray you should be fine.

I have seen the gate agents get more strict about only allowing two carry ons. Nothing funnier than seeing some one having a yard sale at the gate trying to stuff all their crap into two bags.

thanks in advance
Most airlines will allow you to bring a carry on bag and a personal item (backpack, laptop bag, purse, camera bag.) When I travel I usually have my carry on duffel bag with cloths and my camera bag with my traveling setup. Have never been asked to check either bag before.

Also the most weight I have ever carried on was about 70lbs. Just don't act like it is very heavy and they will probably not even think about it.

here is a snip from thier website...
<quote>
Items not to be counted include: Cameras, coats, diplomatic or consular bags, purses 10" x 12" x 8" or less, receptacles containing human remains, strollers, child restraint systems, containers carrying life-sustaining items, live vital organs, crutches, canes, walkers and other similar items.

</quote>
There ya go- sling the camera with a 400mm 2.8 over your back and fit everything else in the bag! ;)

Paul

Also the most weight I have ever carried on was about 70lbs. Just don't act like it is very heavy and they will probably not even think about it.
Don't put it over *my* seat, that's all I'm saying. You bring too much ****, YOU do the contortion act.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I carried a large Think Tank on board several flights to and from India. I had 3 camera bodies, 70-300 VR, 24-70/2.8, 24-120 VR, SB800, teles, cards, 2 Sanho Colorspace, etc.
Boy was THAT heavy! :eek:

But it went in the overhead and I never got challenged. Should have seen me acting like it was as light as a feather when boarding!

My "purse" was a computer bag, also full and heavy.

But I always wear my photo vest in case I'm told I have to check it....

I had my carry-on weighed in Houston, last year, on an international flight. It was 1 kilo over. The agent insisted it would not travel as a carry-on, and would cost me $125 for a 3rd checked bag. The other checked bags were at max weight, so I could not move anything. We had an extended meeting of the minds. We were mutually undone with each other.

"You want $125 for 1 stinkin' kilo? You gotta be insane." Finally, she relented.

The point is, go ahead and 'cheat' if you want to. You will get by most of the time. The question is are you able and willing to pay for an extra bag, or some other serious inconvenience, if you meet the agent from hell? Remember, all overweight/extra bags/grace of any kind/etc, are at the temperament of the agent at the counter, regardless of what is written on your ticket/their web site/ any correspondence you receive from them.

125$ wow...

I'm going to take a chance.

My real worry is not paying but is the bag being checked.
I won't check the camera's nor the lenses.
I'll probably try to put a long lens with the camera over the shoulder if i had to.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom