1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Tilt-shift-rock-n-roll...

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by PJohnP, Mar 26, 2007.

1. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    For some time, I've contemplated the Hartblei and Arsat tilt-shift lens for some projects of mine. I have the Nikon 35mm PC/Shift f/2.8, but it's not quite managed what I'm interested in achieving. I think the tilt function is very much called for. Sadly, I don't think that I can persuade Bjørn Rørslett to part with his home-made 28mm tilt-shift lens (A Dream Lens Come True).

Now, I know that Canon makes a 24mm T/S, but, insofar as I'm aware, there are some serious physical barriers to altering the mount to Nikon standard, not to mention that the lens costs well north of US$1K before any alterations. I missed purchasing a Zuiko 24mm f/3.5 shift lens re-mounted for Nikon a bit back at a local store (stupid me !!!), but in thinking about this, I believe that I want the tilt function as well.

So.

Has anyone here being using the Arsat or Hartblei tilt/shift lenses and could they share their impressions/reactions/experience with these lenses ? I've done the usual due dilgence Google seaches and read the reviews, but in all truth, I'd like to be able to get comments from people that I know (and, believe it or not, actually trust).

TIA.

John P.

P.S. Of course, if Bjørn still reads this forum and wants to sell his delightfully interesting lens, I'd buy that one !!!

2. rsprouse

rsprouse

Jan 25, 2006
    Encinitas CA
    I don't know about the Canon 24mm T/S, but I did buy a Canon 35mm T/S and had it converted to Nikon mount. I would like something even wider for architectural work, so if anyone knows if the conversion can be done for the 24mm, I would be interested.

-- Russ

3. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Russ :

I've contemplated the Canon 24mm T/S, despite the costs (lens price plus conversion), but I was told sometime back that this conversion wouldn't work due to the shortened sensor plane to focal plane difference between the Canon and Nikon mount.

I've had much the same question in my mind if the 35mm Hartblei or Arsat would have sufficient WA for my needs. It sounds like it might not quite meet those needs.

In any event, what we really need is the Nikon 12-24mm zoom converted to a T/S mount for flexibility in WA. I can only wish that I was the kind of engineer who could develop this design...

John P.

4. rsprouse

rsprouse

Jan 25, 2006
    Encinitas CA
    John - is there some reason the 35mm can be converted, but not the 24mm? Maybe the 24mm has a rear element that sticks back too far into the mirror box?

-- Russ

5. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Russ :

Hmmm... I'm trying to recall the discussion on this point, and that may well have been a part of it.

IIRC, the Canon mount is "deeper" into the camera than the Nikon mount, allowing Nikon lenses to be easily adapted to Canon mount, but not vice-versa. When the FL gets relatively short, the mount fits too closely into the Nikon body, and additional spacing's not possible to keep the FL/distance to the focal/sensor plane. I'd expect that this would then possibly be an issue with the mirror box, but I couldn't definitively say that from experience or specific knowledge of the distances.

But I'd be purely delighted to be shown that I either misunderstood this point, or that there's a viable engineering workaround for converting the Canon 24mm T/S to Nikon mount ! :eek:  :rolleyes:  :wink:

John P.

6. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    I just noticed a Nikon mount Olympus 24/3.5 shift lens for sale on ebay: item 330101579978, might be what you are looking for.

7. Someone MUST have tried the Hartblei lenses - I'm curios too - so a good Bump for this thread!!!

8. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Roland :

Yup, I saw that, and I've corresponded with the owner about it. The price is going up pretty quickly, though... :mad: 

In any event, thanks for pointing the sale out in case I hadn't seen it. :biggrin:

John P.

9. I use the Canaon 45 tilt n shift when I freelance for a studio which supplies me with a Canon kit.
    http://www.precision-camera.com/product/103020
    Its goes 3:1, which is pretty close and is great on the full frame camera.
    An enterprising food shooter could easily make a living with this lens alone.
    I get good results with the Lensbaby 3 stopped right down.

10. rsprouse

rsprouse

Jan 25, 2006
    Encinitas CA
    That Olympus lens looks pretty cool, but it is shift-only. I want a wider T/S lens, hence my interest in the Canon. But no one, including the Grimes outfit, can tell me if it can be converted to Nikon F-mount the way my Canon 35mm has been.

-- Russ

11. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Russ :

I dropped off a lens with a local repair shop two days back (nothing untoward, just a "tune-up"), and asked about the Canon 24mm T/S conversion. They told me it wasn't "doable". :mad: 

John P.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.