Tilt: yay or nay?

Discussion in 'People' started by gilbert, May 25, 2005.

1. gilbert

gilbert

May 6, 2005
    So. CA
    Since I got so many positive responses with my first post last week (which I appreciated greatly), here's another one. Don't say you didn't ask for it!

The original image of my daughter Audrey had no tilt; I added some tilt when I cropped it to make it a little more dynamic. Please give me your opinion: too much tilt, too little tilt, or just right? Any other suggestions? Thanks!

-gilbert

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I'm almost always in favor of tilt.

3. Gorgeous! I think the tilt is perfect for the subject. We usually see the little ones tottering along all askew and the tilt here only serves to engage the viewer.

My only nit is that I'd be tempted to sharpen just a bit to get some better definition in the hair and jammies (c:

Woody

4. The thing with tilt is that you need another element in the image to throw it back in balance. Having all your diagonals run in one direction will make the subject fall over instead of appearing dynamic.

5. Yes. I like it.

6. I like it just the way it is...well done!! :D :D :D

7. Looks great as it is, more tilt would be to much.

8. gilbert

gilbert

May 6, 2005
    So. CA
    All: Thanks for the kind comments.

Woody: I usually sharpen for the web when I downsize, but I forgot to in this case. Thanks for pointing it out.

Mike: Good advice. I agree that opposing diagonals help to give balance as opposed to feeling that the picture is 'falling over'.

9. Wossname

Wossname Guest

Gilbert

The tilt is just nice, it makes Audrey look like she is moving, so it adds a bit of dynamic. I love the expression too, a real 1000 yard stare :)

Cheers

Neil
    Tilting Tokyo (4 quakes-in-a-day-r-us)