Time for a Major Reorganization? :(

Sure. But who has sought a lens just to have *it*. Every post I've seen here or anywhere for that matter was about the images one can create with them.

Not that I don't have about 30 lenses more than I need. :biggrin:

:Smoking:

I take your point. I don't have any lenses that I don't need or use now. Those I bought in the past and have sold have been either not used, or sold to replace with a superior one.

P

phatnev

I really am strongly considering the Tamron but I've heard its so inconsistent with QC and such.I can justify the $1400 for the Beast, Im 18 and have absolutely no real financial responsibilities. I'd like to buy the Beast to start and then get going on buying the rest of the lenses I want, I'd like to have a kit of lenses that Im going to grow old with, I need to develop an attachment to the lenses, I'd save and work hard for the Nikkors but the TP lenses I could buy all in one clean sweep after a week's work.

I must have had the world's ropiest sample of the 28-75 f2.8, and replaced it with the Beast.

Tamron

grave1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Beast

gravef4.jpg

Needless to say the Tamron was returned pronto.

Radiohead said:
I must have had the world's ropiest sample of the 28-75 f2.8, and replaced it with the Beast.

Sharpness aside, I had problems with the color cast the Tamron imparted in low light. To my eye, Nikon lenses are unmatched in rending natural colors. But the Beast's results at portraiture is are what really sold me on it. Here's a shot I took with it last night as part of a PJ assignment. The subjects are the owners of a new business being featured in a local magazine.

1/60s f/4.0 at 62.0mm iso400 with Flash
56111714.gif

Real Name
Chris
Chris N, At 18, I don't think you need to worry about growing old with your lenses for quite some time! Buy a lens you think you want to work with, work with it and find out how you like it. It's more like dating than marriage.

(Now for some of us, we are already old when we buy it!)

Real Name
Chris
Nice impromptu shot Frank! Looks like you used that big light box of your's as well. The lens is only part of the equation, in order for someone to shoot like you, they'd need to get the lens, lighting and aptitude correct as well. They can buy the first two, but the third only comes from experience, and lots of it!

ps, I hope they sat down with you and sampled some of their store's wares after the sshoot!

P

phatnev

Chris101 said:
Chris N, At 18, I don't think you need to worry about growing old with your lenses for quite some time! Buy a lens you think you want to work with, work with it and find out how you like it. It's more like dating than marriage.

(Now for some of us, we are already old when we buy it!)

Yeah but wouldnt you agree its better to do it right the first time and plump down the money up front, instead of buying a lens I learn to hate, probably TP and then by the time I get rid of it, it'll be worthless. I'd rather start with the best and keep it for along long time.

P

phatnev

Chris101 said:
If you think you are going to hate it, that is a good sign not to get it. But as for keeping it for a long, long time... who can see the future?

Of course it isnt, I dont want to buy a lens that I know isn't going to perform as well as the Beast. How many of your "prized" lenses have you ended up selling? I'd certainly hope I'd keep a lens like the Beast for quite a few years

Derrell's posts are absolutely astonishing to me!! This Cafe is supposed to be a group of "friends" helping each other out. His words are rude, harsh, and SEROIUSLY condescending.

I appreciate the fact that you have 32 years of shooting experience, but do not hit us over the head with it!! Many people including me love gadgets and technology. To some of us the hunt for cameras and glass is part of the FUN!! Derrell... have you heard of fun??

Lighten up...

Don

Chris101 said:
I hope they sat down with you and sampled some of their store's wares after the sshoot!

No, but now that they've worked with me and seen the results, they've asked me to shoot their grand opening event in early March :biggrin:. It'll be a much bigger paycheck than I got from the magazine piece.

Donzo98 said:
Derrell's posts are absolutely astonishing to me!! This Cafe is supposed to be a group of "friends" helping each other out. His words are rude, harsh, and SEROIUSLY condescending.

I appreciate the fact that you have 32 years of shooting experience, but do not hit us over the head with it!! Many people including me love gadgets and technology. To some of us the hunt for cameras and glass is part of the FUN!! Derrell... have you heard of fun??

Lighten up...

Don

Maybe his tone was a bit strong, but his advice was valid IMO.

PGB

In an effort to move this thread in a different direction.

Harrison, I'm expecting a deal for the 28-70 2.8 to finalize the end of this week. If all goes well and I expect it to, how about I let you borrow it for a week?

Do some tests, see if you really need or want this Beast. I just wanted it, didn't really need it. But, I didn't have the opportunity to really try it out. I'm going to offer that to you.

Let me know buddy,

P

phatnev

Patrick Bramlett said:

Harrison, I'm expecting a deal for the 28-70 2.8 to finalize the end of this week. If all goes well and I expect it to, how about I let you borrow it for a week?

Do some tests, see if you really need or want this Beast. I just wanted it, didn't really need it. But, I didn't have the opportunity to really try it out. I'm going to offer that to you.

Let me know buddy,

Thats a hell of an offer

Patrick Bramlett said:

Let me know buddy,

Wow.

Wow2H
Wow2HS
Wow2X!
Patrick, I knew you were generous, but WOW!
I'm speechless. Positively speechless.
PMing you tonight.
HD

NB23 said:
Whhhooooaaaaa!

Do you already own a 35-70 f2.8?

Hey, my friend, I don't understand this! You've got a legendary combo!

My personal advice: Sell your 18-70, add 100$ and buy 10-20 and be done with the lens lust forever!

Well, I sold the 18-70 8 months ago (to buy the 17-35 no less...) and your noticing I have the 35-70 2.8 shows I tried the second-best and found it lacking.
I may have a bad copy, but I'm not pleased with sharpness. AF sounds terrible- something is wrong with it. Non-IF lenses are not for me, methinks- I don't like the hood and don't get along with push/pull very well.

Anyways, I've seen the 17-35 used and used it as a PJ lens, but IMO it just doesn't have the reach I need for such a device.
I may need the 17-55 or 28-70 pretty soon, actually, as I may be trying out for an internship....evidently people with dual photo/video skills are getting into higher demand with newspapers.....

NB23 said:
My simple grain of salt is so very simple I don't understand all the questioning you're going through.

1) The 17-35 is a legend. You really want to sell a legendary lens? I'm not sure you want to do that!
I do want to sell it. My copy is fantastic...but I feel a different need at this time.

3) Don't start scrapping out your collection to get the 28-70. Not worth losing the 17-35 to add the 28-70. You need BOTH.
17-70 f2.8 is the ideal range. Just start saving pennies to, one day, add a 10-20 cheaply priced Sigma and you'll be done. Where's the problem?
There is none, that has basically been my plan from the get go. But I can't justify not having a lens that I could really use just so I hold on to a not 100% healthy lens that isn't fitting into my style so much now.
If nikon would make a 17-70 f/2.8 VR II AF-S i'd be fine, thank you very much....
This is why I really doubt you'll ever really need to go under 17mm on a DX sensor. And if you do, then you're about 2-3 months away (300-400$) of getting a 10-20 Sigma.
That is also true, and you're not the only person to say this to me today. My subjects sometimes are better shot wider. Like i've said before though, I've got time to save my pennies and hold off on a new wide angle.

Latest threads

Top Bottom