Time for a new box

After years of flawless service, I'm planning on retiring my PC soon... which presents me with the dreaded task of sorting through hardware specs as I try to decide on new components.
I'm going the barebones route which means I'll be reusing numerous items from my present machine (e.g. drives and video card).

Here's my list to date:

CORE COMPONENTS

Assembly: Yes, please ship this assembled & tested.
Case: Meshify 2, No PSU, E-ATX, Black, Mid Tower Case
Motherboard: ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI), AMD X570 Chipset, AM4, DP, ATX Motherboard
Processor: Promo AMD Ryzen™ 5 5600X 6-Core 3.7 - 4.6GHz Turbo, AM4, 65W TDP, Retail Processor
Video Card: No Video Card
Memory: G.SKILL 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz, CL16, Black, DIMM Memory
Power Supply: SEASONIC FOCUS GM-750, 80 PLUS Gold 750W, Semi Modular, ATX Power Supply

COOLING

CPU Cooler: Box CPU Fan (Included w/ retail processor)
Thermal Compound: ARCTIC SILVER AS5-3.5G, 3.5g, High-Density Polysynthetic Silver, Thermal Compound

STORAGE

M.2 Storage: SAMSUNG 500GB 980 PRO 2280, 7000 / 5000 MB/s, V-NAND 3-bit MLC, PCIe 4.0 x4 NVMe 1.3c, M.2 SSD

I'm ok with the CPU choice (PCIe 4.0 and 32MB of L3, plus low power draw) but the motherboard selection is an open question. Anyone who has built an AMD rig recently or is up to date on hardware, please chime in with your thoughts. Thanks.

GTX 1660S. It's tolerably quick enough now for the apps I have that load it (DeepPrime, Topaz AI) and it will perform better with a newer gen PCIe bus and a CPU that won't bottle neck it (currently a 3770K).

Last edited:

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I like silence, if you don't like a noisy box then you might want to think about that.
CPU fans are noisy, when I went for liquid cooling I was delighted by the lower temperatures and the lack of noise.
Of course power supplies can be noisy - there are quiet ones. And case fans can be noisy too.

I can't comment beyond that as I have Intel i7 CPUs of various generations in my machines and am not up to date on AMD CPUs. I am very impressed by the most recent, an 11th generation i7 in a laptop. Very fast and uses less energy than previous generations, giving good battery life. In addition the CPU's own integrated video performance is remarkably good, it is called Intel Iris Xe Graphics and I would guess it is equivalent in performance to a typical graphics card of a few years ago.

Last edited:
The mobo deliberation is now focused on the chipset. The x570 is actively cooled in almost all its applications and this is not something I prefer since it adds one more potential failure point. Now I'm looking at the b550 vs the x570s (passively cooled) chips and their associated boards. Damn this is a lot to digest. No wonder I only do it every 10 years or so. 🤯

Real Name
Tim
.... I am very impressed by the most recent, an 11th generation i7 in a laptop. Very fast and uses less energy than previous generations, giving good battery life. In addition the CPU's own integrated video performance is remarkably good, it is called Intel Iris Xe Graphics and I would guess it is equivalent in performance to a typical graphics card of a few years ago.

I am actually typing this reply from a new Dell Inspiron 16 Plus with an 11th gen i7. Hands down the best laptop I've ever owned and spec'd so I can work in lightroom on the road and not feel laggy/sluggish. 32gb/1TB/RTX3060 6gb....the 16" display is amazing.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I am actually typing this reply from a new Dell Inspiron 16 Plus with an 11th gen i7. Hands down the best laptop I've ever owned and spec'd so I can work in lightroom on the road and not feel laggy/sluggish. 32gb/1TB/RTX3060 6gb....the 16" display is amazing.
This is my laptop, far better than anything before. The stylus is like a Wacom pen, very accurate. Folds backwards into a tablet, high-res screen, fast graphics.

1637945687832.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Tim
This is my laptop, far better than anything before. The stylus is like a Wacom pen, very accurate. Folds backwards into a tablet, high-res screen, fast graphics.

View attachment 1693959
Nice! I opted for the 11800H. Dell did a phenomenal job with the sizing on this one - 16" screen but form factor wise it's smaller than my older 15.6" Lenovo Legion. And it weighs in at right under 4lbs. I could actually just use this as my main PC at this point (just jack in my 4k monitor since I have a Thunderbolt 4 port as well as the HDMI port). The only change I've made was to upgrade to Windows 11 Pro over Home and uninstall the bulk of the bloatware.

Sorry to derail the OP's thread - but it's a loose derailment, as it's an option now I think to the traditional desktop....

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
The only change I've made was to upgrade to Windows 11 Pro over Home and uninstall the bulk of the bloatware.

Sorry to derail the OP's thread - but it's a loose derailment, as it's an option now I think to the traditional desktop....
I upgraded to Win 11 Pro as well. I went through and uninstalled every bit of Acer software I could find. This solved several annoyances.
BIOS upgrades are easily downloaded from their website and fixed a small issue. Now it is working perfectly.
To avoid further thread derailment I'll start a new thread about a weird laptop power issue I have experienced and have a solution for.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom