Time for a new Mac

My MacBook Pro is getting a bit on the old side now, time for a new one. I didn't get a new one earlier because they started only doing the glossy screen, now they do a mat one again but I am second guessing whether to get a glossy or mat screen now. :rolleyes:

Any preferences for editing anyone?? Mat or glossy 17" ???

My MacBook Pro is getting a bit on the old side now, time for a new one. I didn't get a new one earlier because they started only doing the glossy screen, now they do a mat one again but I am second guessing whether to get a glossy or mat screen now. :rolleyes:

Any preferences for editing anyone?? Mat or glossy 17" ???

Will you be outside in sun, or under really bright indoor lights?

If yes I'd suggest the matte screen but I've had my glossy (new version) mbp since it first came out a couple years ago and 99% of the time I have no issue. I just have a bit of trouble in sunny situations.

I would buy a matte screen laptop if given the option, but it wasn't available at the time.

Matte is better at just about anything. It doesn't have that POP that a glossy screen will that makes it look over the top nice, but it makes up for the lack of glitz by being the most usable display :)

Just my two cents, of course.

I have the glossy 24' iMac and the matte 15' MBP, both used 99% indoors, and I have to say, I honestly prefer the glossy. As long as I'm not facing a full daylight open window, which my iMac does not, then it's fine, and even then, the matte has problems, too... The glossy just looks sharper and brighter for my editing.

Thanks for the replies :)

I know I will be safe with matte. It seems easier on the eyes too. Also found a Rob Galbraith review http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-10041-10146&sr=hotnews

I use my MacBook pro a lot, from photo editing to forums ;) to emailing to watching shows. I think for the shows etc. the glossy is probably nicer, also just for looking at all the photos. But for ease on the eyes and for editing I think the matte is better. I want a switchable screen so I can have it all :)

I have a 24" matt and 27" glass right next to each other. In my semi dark work space, I can not tell them apart except for the fact the gloss will dim down to proper photoediting 90 cd/sq metro.

I would get a matt if you can not control the environment.

I have a 24" matt and 27" glass right next to each other. In my semi dark work space, I can not tell them apart except for the fact the gloss will dim down to proper photoediting 90 cd/sq metro.

I would get a matt if you can not control the environment.

That's funny... mine are the opposite. My glossy won't get low enough, but I have no problems with the matte screen. :tongue:

Thanks for all your replies :) The matte screened one is on its way to me. I wanted the ability to see the best in any lighting situation. I think this is still the way to go for me although the glossy was highly tempting. Using the ipad next to the window created a lot of reflections etc. in the glossy, although not the same, gave me concerns over glossy.

For what it's worth, Maureen, I've been looking to move into a Mac. I went to the store to see the difference between the glossy and matte, and for me the matte was definitely better for working with photos. I have a million other issues to decide, but that one I was pretty sure about.

Under proper lighting, glossy work fine. If there is stray light in the work environment, avoid glossy

My matt iMac 24 will only go down to 156 candles. The glossy 1Mac 27 goes from super bright to completely off with the F1 and F2 keys.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom