Time for some decisions, AKA, HELP!

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by ShaunK, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Ok, my brother and I have been looking into getting a lighting set-up... he wants it for studio work, mostly commercial and not portrait, and I want it for portrait and on-location work... so! I have decided, I think :smile:, on two stands with umbrellas, each with an SB-600 or SB-28, or SB-800, we have all three. Also a reflector and wireless control, preferably RF. So, what do you recommend for this equipment? Budget is about $500 between the 2 of us (it maybe could get stretched, but not much!)... please recommend stands, umbrellas, flash holders, and if need be, reflectors (I'm thinking white).Oh, and we need to reserve about $150 for another flash so we can have a total of 4 between the two of us.

2. Hmmm, no one willing to help me out here? :rolleyes: :smile: Maybe I can break it down into parts. Lets start with the umbrellas. 1. What size is good for everything from head shots to full-body? If not one, then what combination of sizes (i want only 2 total). 2. Is the white with the removable black a good compromise if I also want to use them for occasional makeshift softboxes? I guess by that I mean shoot through, not into. :smile: 3. What brand do you recommend? Thanks!

3. there is a complete set-up for flash units that give you 2 stands, 2 umbrellas, and 2 flash holders for $99 at B&H that about a dozen guys here have bought, all good reports...

4. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Thats what I have and they work great. I am actually lookign for a third SB600 to use as a hairlight, but my setup with the sb800 as commander and two sb600's has been doing rather well (at least for my limited skills).

5. Tom Voegeli

Tom Voegeli Guest

I would get matching umbrellas. Mixing a white one with a silver one, or a shoot through with a bouncer is asking for color balance hell, and a difficult time making even lighting.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.