Time for some more MX

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by nipprdog, Jun 17, 2007.

1. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    my local track held a race last Sunday(finally). since I was shooting mostly for business, I didn't experiment to much. I kept my shutter speeds a little high to ensure a higher percentage of keepers. I also tried to pay attention to backgrounds, keeping them as clean as possible.

#2 pulled the holeshot
    DSC_5691Bpcopyw.
    still leading at the end of the first lap
    DSC_5696Bpcopyw.
    #87 still right on his tail
    DSC_5697Bpcopyw.
    DSC_5707BpcopyW.
    DSC_5386Bpcopyw.
    DSC_5468BpW.
    DSC_5279Bpcopyw.
    DSC_5229Bpcopyw.
    DSC_5311Bpcopyw.
    DSC_5671Bpcopyw.
    DSC_5794Bpcopyw.
    DSC_5209Bpcopyw.

all with D50 and 80-200 2.8

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    These are real nice Jim, something that I have never shot before. When you mention that your shutter speeds were kept high, can you explain your thoughts a bit more. A friend has been asking me to shoot some of his MX, but our schedules haven't jived well. When shooting sports action, I usually keep my shutter speeds high to minimize blur, but motion blur in MX photography is probably desired. I would enjoy learning more about your shooting preferences....thanks Jim.

3. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    Thanks, Frank. I should have been more specific. the standard 'high shutter speed/ low DOF' apllies to MX, as well. and for most part, thats what I use.

but when I'm shooting for fun, sometimes I like to slow it down and pan the riders, showing wheelspin. but of course, that cuts down on the keeper rate. :wink: and since I was only getting one shot at the riders that day, I resisted the urge to slow it down. :biggrin:

4. Ya, The "keeper" rate is a pain when you are trying to make money / shoot for someone else. Thats one of the reasons I know I'll never try to make photography my primary business. I prefer to experiment and try weird shots than to Maximize my earning potential (I learned that no-one buys my shots at the track anyway, So now I just don't care :)

So I totally understand your reasoning there, However today when I head out is going to be a total mess around day for me. I'm taking my film camera and some ISO 50 velvia slide film, So I'll probably be limited to pans! (its pretty cloudy right now)