1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Time Lapse advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AggieCJ, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Looking to do a time lapse series of the stage build for a concert tomorrow. I have a good mounting bracket and will be using my D300 along with either my 14-24 or my 24-70 whichever gives me the best shot. Will most likely use Final Cut Express to put it all together. Want to make a 1 minute clip. the whole stage build will be about 8 hours.

what I am looking for is any pointers, advice or ideas.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2008
  2. I did a time lapse of a building going up . I had the camera up on a hill and it all came out ok except that when they started putting the roof on they worked away from the camera position so for a while it never looked like much was happening .
    Have a look at where they will be starting and find out where the best position will be to capture the main movement of their work so you can see constant change as it goes up .

3. Desmond, thank you. The rig was set up at 7:30 AM this morning and started shooting at 8:00 AM. I set it to Aperture Priority to allow the camera to adjust to the changing light conditions as the sun came over the venue. Shooting 1 shot every 45 seconds for 12 hours. My location is the top of one of the canopy support towers on the rail of the light platform. I will try to get some pics this afternoon of the setup and location. Looking forward to retrieving the camera this evening and working on this project. I liken it to smoking a brisket. Long and slow but with anticipated deliciousness.

It was very difficult to walk away from $4000 worth of equipment out in the open for the day. Just like a mom leaving their child for the first time all day.

4. That sounds scary . I was just thinking of another option , ''matrix'' style with the camera on a curved rail and a small motor pulling it along at the rate of 6 inches per minute . You could have a rotation-style playback !

5. Now that sounds cool. Will have to look at that option. We do about 35-40 concerts a year so I will have ample opportunity to try different things. This will have to go on the list.

Thank you for the thought and input.

6. ... or if there isn't enough space for that have the camera on the end of a pole above the stage , slowly retract it until it is in front of the stage lower down . But that would require some serious adjustment of the camera angle .

7. That would be tricky with the setup we have here but gets me thinking.

Nice Van by the way.

8. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  9. I have been following your photovan thread. Good stuff.

Well I have downloaded all the photos for the video. I have 877 shots. 10.5 hours worth of shots at 1 every 45 seconds. I wanted to run through the show but that gets sticky with the artists.

Currently working on getting them all into Final Cut and adjusting the frame rate. From scrolling through them in iPhoto it looks pretty cool and I am excited to see how it ends up.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  10. I've been wanting to do a time lapse movie from this spot in Atlanta. I may go give it a try one day this week. You've inspired me.

[​IMG]

11. Now you will have to supply some samples at least !

12. Just wrapped it up, yep almost 2 am. Came out pretty awesome. I need to get a bigger memory card. In order to get the number of photos I needed without checking on it every couple hours I reduced the quality to normal and you can tell on a big screen HD monitor.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2008
  13. Pretty cool alright , I like the way half of them and up sitting in the seats near the end .
    Another option I just thought of , maybe if you had two cameras set up , is to slowly zoom in and then back out over some time .

14. Thanks you. I actually started playing with that by cropping in on the pics, digital zoom. Cool effect but the image suffered quite a bit.

Guess I'll have to buy another D300 or heck maybe here is the reason I have been waiting for to get a D700.

"Honey, Desmond said I need a D700"

15. It says the youtube video is no longer available.

16. DM Rosner

DM Rosner

Dec 13, 2006
    Came up fine for me, and I must say it's very cool! That's something I've never seen in person, and likely never will.

Nicely done!

17. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    Very cool, but I would have liked to see this at a faster pace. The cool thing about time lapses is watching something happen in a very short period of time. Maybe cut that 4 minutes to 1?

Or not. :biggrin:

18. I got it working, looks good :) 

19. NO !!! , do not incur the wrath of your woman on me :eek: :eek: :eek: 

20. What's the URL on youtube to view? :confused: 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.