Time lapse season

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Beezle, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Finally here! The battle for the garden and to not touch the stuff in my office!!! begins. :biggrin:

_D217881-web.

PS, this year trying different lighting. Never was quite happy using SB800s as they were inconsistent over long periods of time. Changing the batteries mid stream caused problems as well. So I have an Elinchrom strobe and got a smaller softbox just for these. Hopefully this test will prove it provides more consistent light.

Also seen above is a D2X with an 85 PC on it.

This one is set to run for 20 hours, but I will likely stop it short of that. Irises bloom quite fast from this stage, particularly when inside in the warmer air. This one is likely not a double bloom as our blue ones never are.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Look foward to seeing the time lapse Ed
    I really like them

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. I'll have this one up this evening or so. 40 frames into it and it is already bursting. The hard part will be getting the purple-blue just right.

They are fun. I am hoping to get the full "life" of some double irises this year, and some other flowers as well. I've been watching wisteria, but they take too long to bloom. Need to get some 8 GB cards!

5. Beezle, if you're shooting indoors, why not just tether the camera to your laptop.

Time lapse movies are fun to make! Never shoot an amarylis, they take forever to open! I stopped the shoot after four days!

Your time lapse iris movies are my favourites!

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

Attached Files:

7. Great job, Paul!! If you take more pics, and slow down the FPS rate, you can add some music. Orchids are fun, tulips are boring, and daffodils grow UP too fast while opening!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imer-Sa5x8Y

8. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

9. Youtube only allows 320x240 movies to be shown. Half-lime, a free pic and movie file web hosting site, allows movies up to 640x480 resolution, and up to 100MB in size!!!!

Time lapse photography can be very addictive!

Paul, I had it running day and night, I'd come downstairs in the morning and look and think "That's IT??? maybe today it will open".
    I did a first-time TL of daffodils about six years ago with my CP990, and went back upstairs to where I was shooting and the daffies had grown UP and OUT of the viewfinder range!!!! I was left with a bunch of moving stems!!

Beezle's double irises are fantastic. Maybe we can convince him to post up the links to them again!

10. That's pretty slow. I go for flowers that bloom over 10-20 hours or so. Or close at night like African Daisies.

Here is that double iris time lapse (QuickTime movie):

http://www.nvxd.com/timelapse/iris-double-timelapse-2.mov

My favorite so far. Hope to do better this year.

Nice movie, Paul! Orchids are awesome. I never buy them anymore though because I always kill them. :frown:

11. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

12. Ed, I love watching that over and over - so beautiful!

I had no idea the amaryllis was going to take that long, otherwise I would never have started it!! *LOL* I'll look for irises today :smile:

13. I process the images in Nikon Capture, where I can apply the same WB, etc., then save those as a batch to jpegs.

Then I use an action in CS2 to crop or add the copyright, etc. I usually just write a new one for each case.

Movie wise, I am just using the QuickTime player myself. Works fine, and I know its quirks because I helped write it.

I do want to try tethered capture this year.

14. Thanks and glad you like it. I think I can do better, though. We shall see!

91 frames into this one and looking pretty good.

15. This isn't an actual frame. This is the 105 VR on a D200, hand held with the Elinchrom's modelling light.

After 92 frames. It unfolded exactly as I had hoped. I sort of learned how to "read" iris buds last year.

Another thing I am thinking about trying is motion control. Spin the subject very slowly. Or move the camera. Something like that.

_D217884-web.