Time Machine backup drive not recognized

Can anyone tell why a backup hard drive might not be recognized?
We're been using it for Time Machine and it's connected to our iMac.

I've tried two different enclosure, different cables and USB port, but it's not listed as an option for Time Machine and it doesn't show up on the desktop.

There aren't any obvious noises with the hard drive.
It's sounds normal and seems to be on.

I'd appreciate a heads up from anyone who has a suggestion.

Thanks,
Virginia
aka beaucamera

was it working and recognized and then stopped?

No, we typically turn the drive on only when we use Time Machine and leave it off the rest of the time.

I tried the disk utility and first aid.
Now, there's a message on screen saying the disk can't be repaired..disk, and restore your backed-up files.

What does it mean when it say the disk can't be repaired?
Is it broken? Can it be formatted and still used?
I know all the previous backups would be lost, but apparently they are now anyway.
?????

Virginia
aka beaucamera

try diskwarrior.

Thank you for the suggestion.
That looks like an interesting program.

I am now able to access the drive...not sure what I did, but there is still something wrong because the drive won't work with Time Machine.

I bought another 1TB drive yesterday ($56).
I haven't yet formatted it, but will use that for our Time Machine backups and then see if I can get some of the stuff off the other drive when I have more time. Then I'll reformat it.

The power cable used to connect the external enclosure I was using isn't a very good fit and I wonder if it might have loosened and made the iMac think the drive hadn't been ejected properly.

More things to consider.

Virginia
aka beaucamera

Home: Columbia, MD, USA; Present: Bogota, Colombia
Look at this.

Also, it is possible that if you disconnected the Time Machine drive without doing an "Eject" then the OS might assign a new drive designator to the external drive. (You have to dig to find this info.) But you could just try to open Time Machine Preferences and tell TM to start using the drive again. This may fix the problem.

If you pull the plug out of the drive like me, the computer can`t cant find it.

Never ever turn off without without ejecting it. Control click-pick eject option.

If you need to format it for use as a time machine, it must be erased. This is not an option.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom