Time to Fill the Fridge..?

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by John C, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Silverprint are reporting that Kodak are intending to discontinue production of their HIE and EIR infrared films;

Never shot any myself, but I've enjoyed seeing other people's results with it, and this seems like a real shame.

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I have heard this rumor for about 5 years now. It would be a shame if it proves to be true. I guess it's time to stock up, eh?

3. TechPan

TechPan

Oct 5, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Hmmm...

Taking an igloo cooler and ice packs to Canoga Camera and buying a couple of rolls of Kodak IR...taking it home and popping it in the freezer....letting it hit room temp so as not to cause condensation...loading it in my F3 in a changing bag and in my darkroom. Putting the F3 in another igloo cooler to take to the location. Fire off the roll...back into the igloo. Unload the film in a changing bag and in the darkroom. Thread onto the tank spool...develop...

That was pretty fun...

I also did some color IR...can't remember if it was Kodak or not...

That was really entertaining.

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I usually handle HIE pretty normally, no need to keep it cold or anything. I just keep in the fridge if I'm keeping it for months or years. At $12 a roll, I'm gonna have to save up some serious scratch if I need to stockpile a lifetime's worth!

5. TechPan

TechPan

Oct 5, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Yeah I was pretty anal in my youth. Now after I found the power of beer...I have mellowed out quite a bit.

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Well, I had a dozen or more rolls in the fridge (not freezer) since the mid 80's. I shot it all last spring and summer - it came out like it was new!

I still can't believe it's really being discontinued. I wonder if Kodak doesn't just float the 'discontinued' rumor whenever they need a sales spike... :rolleyes: