Time to Fill the Fridge..?

Silverprint are reporting that Kodak are intending to discontinue production of their HIE and EIR infrared films;

...the cut off date for obtaining supplies is set as the end of May '07. Both black and white HIE and the false-colour Ektachrome Infra-red are to be discontinued. While many photo materials have been dropped by Kodak, infra-red has a unique place, and there is no direct replacement from any other manufacturer for either of these materials, especially the colour EIR.

Never shot any myself, but I've enjoyed seeing other people's results with it, and this seems like a real shame.

Hmmm...

Taking an igloo cooler and ice packs to Canoga Camera and buying a couple of rolls of Kodak IR...taking it home and popping it in the freezer....letting it hit room temp so as not to cause condensation...loading it in my F3 in a changing bag and in my darkroom. Putting the F3 in another igloo cooler to take to the location. Fire off the roll...back into the igloo. Unload the film in a changing bag and in the darkroom. Thread onto the tank spool...develop...

That was pretty fun...

I also did some color IR...can't remember if it was Kodak or not...

That was really entertaining.

Real Name
Chris
... Taking an igloo cooler and ice packs to Canoga Camera and buying a couple of rolls of Kodak IR...taking it home and popping it in the freezer....letting it hit room temp so as not to cause condensation...loading it in my F3 in a changing bag and in my darkroom. Putting the F3 in another igloo cooler to take to the location. Fire off the roll...back into the igloo. Unload the film in a changing bag and in the darkroom. Thread onto the tank spool...develop... ...
I usually handle HIE pretty normally, no need to keep it cold or anything. I just keep in the fridge if I'm keeping it for months or years. At $12 a roll, I'm gonna have to save up some serious scratch if I need to stockpile a lifetime's worth!

I usually handle HIE pretty normally, no need to keep it cold or anything. I just keep in the fridge if I'm keeping it for months or years. At $12 a roll, I'm gonna have to save up some serious scratch if I need to stockpile a lifetime's worth!

Yeah I was pretty anal in my youth. Now after I found the power of beer...I have mellowed out quite a bit.

Real Name
Chris
Well, I had a dozen or more rolls in the fridge (not freezer) since the mid 80's. I shot it all last spring and summer - it came out like it was new!

I still can't believe it's really being discontinued. I wonder if Kodak doesn't just float the 'discontinued' rumor whenever they need a sales spike... :rolleyes:

Latest threads

Top Bottom