Time to play "Guess the lens" again, please

Just fiddling around today, and decided to compare my two least expensive lenses: Nikkor 50/1.8 and Tamron SP 90mm macro MF. Tripod mounted, MLU, f/5 for both. The 50mm image is cropped to approximately the same magnification as the 90mm image, which is uncropped.

Which is which?

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks for playing.

Last edited by a moderator:
O.K. I'll reveal the truth, as I know you all are waiting with bated breath.

Nine out of thirteen respondents got it right; #2 was taken with the Nikkor 50/1.8. Either you folks know your lenses, or you used the obvious clue that #1 is the only one with the aspect ratio of an uncropped image.

Frankly, I was surprised by this result. I really expected the dedicated macro lens to produce a sharper image. Of course it will focus much closer and will give 1:2 magnification. However, I can get that with the 50 by cropping, and apparently with increased resolution!

WOW! Yes, I'm shocked. I was definitely one of those who thought a dedicated macro lens would produce a sharper image!
Glad I kept my little 50mm 1.8 lens....never even thought of using it for macro!
Thanks for telling us, I kept clicking back into this thread to find out the results :biggrin:

Lisa

WOW! Yes, I'm shocked. I was definitely one of those who thought a dedicated macro lens would produce a sharper image!
Glad I kept my little 50mm 1.8 lens....never even thought of using it for macro!
Thanks for telling us, I kept clicking back into this thread to find out the results :biggrin:

Lisa
Yes, the "nifty fifty" wins again!

I must point out, however, that the Tamron SP 90 that I have is an older manual focus lens, and may not be representative of what the current version is capable of.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom